How do I anchor a bathroom towel bar when there is spackle in the hole where it originally fell out?

The towel bar in my bathroom fell out leaving 2 holes in my drywall. I spackled up the hole, let it dry for 3 days, and then sanded it down. When I tried to re-anchor the towel bar (with new anchors of course) the dried up spackle in the hole is simply not strong enough for an anchor and a screw. When I try to put a screw through the anchor the spackle is weak and brittle and I basically end up pushing the anchor all the way through the wall. HELP!! I also tried using Mighty Putty but that sucks. Any suggestions on techniques or products?

Favorite Answer

Randy is talking about toggle bolts and that is what you should use.

You'll probably have to make the holes a little larger for the toggle to fit into the hole. The plastic anchors that were used the first time weren't really the best thing to use that's why the bar came loose. It won't happen with the toggle bolts.

Buy them at any hardware store. Get 1/4" x 2" size and make sure you ask a sales person how to use them correctly before you leave the store.

You will need to do a little reconstructive surgery on the two places the drywall anchors came from. The idea is to reinforce the backside of the hole with wood glued to the backside of the hole, then fill the hole with spackle. Then you have something solid to sink screws or anchors into.

First, dig out the spackle and enlarge the holes a little widthwise so they're 1" square or so. You will need a thick shim or piece of wood 1/2" thick and 2" long x 3/4" high for each hole. Put a nickel-sized dab of yellow wood glue on the side of the wood which will touch the backside of the drywall. Tie a piece of string around the middle of the shim and attach it to a pencil, then slide the shim sideways through the hole. Twist the string around the pencil until the shim is firmly glued to the backside of the drywall and in the right place, then use blue painter's tape to secure the pencil to the frontside of the repair.

Let it dry at least 24 hours, then fill the hole with several thin layers of spackle, sanding off the excess, then paint.

Now you should be ready to replace your towel bar, but this time use wood screws.

Source(s): experience patching a LOT of holes in drywall

Try using some {Mollies/Spring Nuts/Drywall Anchor} about 3/16" X 2" from the sounds of your walls depth, should do it. The anchor goes by these and a couple other various field names, with the Molly being the most common. They are expandable anchors that uses more wall space for a more secure install. Your studs behind the wall should be 16" on centers, so if you find one stud the other hopefully is 16" from it then 32" etc.... Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Towel bars are a problem to anchor unless you can by a miracle you can hit a stud on each end. Even hitting one stud is not enough.

I suggest you install a backboard on the wall and then attach the towel bar to it. Get a pc. of finish wood about 2-3" longer than the towel bar and about 5-1/2" wide. Prime and paint it to go with color in bathroom. Use liquid nail to glue to wall, also find studs if you can. Wait till next day and attach towel bar. It will stay up even with a wet heavy bath towel hanging on it. Any kind of toggle bolt, molly, or other means of attachment always ends in a loose towel bar first then ends up with it hanging by one end some morning. On remodel jobs we always get with the owner about location of towel bars,mirrors, other access. and install blocking within the framing just for this purpose.

Do-it right this time.

Source(s): G.C.

Strong Drywall Anchors

Ideally you should try to anchor the towel bar to a pair of studs. If you can't do that, use Molly anchors which are stronger than the screw-in anchors you used before. They spread out in the wall when you tighten them.

I personally hate toggle bolts and avoid them whenever I can.

you might try using the anchor's that have a piece on the end that spread out and hold against the back of the wall--can't remember what there called but when opened they are shaped like a " T "

Move the bar and repaint. It will never work in the same area with spackle.