Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

Do I have dengue fever?

Well, I just got back from my vacation in the Caribbean, and I must say mosquitoes had the best of me. In addition, there was a dengue outbreak....I don't want to jump to any conclusion being that I started to feel ill when I visited my grandmother's house...which is tile entirely, plus I took baths with regular water....anyway... I'm feeling and looking like ****...I'm coughing and blowing out cold along with blood...i have aches in my lower and upper back....my right eye hurts, my right face is swollen and my ear keeps popping {the elevator or high altitude effect) everytime I blow the right side of my nose. However, I don't have any rashes and all these symptoms started after travelling on the plane....I called my doc whose on vacation, so my intention is to wait until the weekend to see if I will get any better, before going to the emergency room.

My doc doesn't have a substituting doc...I asked...which I found strange

• Amanda
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you have some, but not all of the symptoms. If you think you may have it, you're probably better off getting medical attention sooner rather than later. The good news is that dengue fever carries a very low risk of death. Feel better soon!

Q. What are the symptoms of the disease?

A. The principal symptoms of dengue are high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea and vomiting, eye pain, and rash. Generally, younger children have a milder illness than older children and adults.

Dengue hemorrhagic fever is characterized by a fever that lasts from 2 to 7 days, with general signs and symptoms that could occur with many other illnesses (e.g., nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and headache). This stage is followed by hemorrhagic manifestations, tendency to bruise easily or other types of skin hemorrhages, bleeding nose or gums, and possibly internal bleeding. The smallest blood vessels (capillaries) become excessively permeable (“leaky”), allowing the fluid component to escape from the blood vessels. This may lead to failure of the circulatory system and shock, followed by death, if circulatory failure is not corrected.

surely your doc has someone covering for him. see THAT person or go to a PrimaCare type place, but you need to see someone NOW! could be bronchitis which could lead to pnuemonia. could be a nasty sinus iinfection...but you won't know until it's even harder to treat if you wait any longer!

I hope you feel better soon! In the mean time, get some OTC saline spray for your poor nose, a vaporizer, and drink lots of water!