Does your family have a fire escape plan?

Two weeks ago I woke up at 3 am to some people screaming outside of my house. I peeked out the window to see the house across the stress from me in flames. There was only 1 man that lived there with 4 of his dogs and everyone got out safely except for one dog. I see this man’s house every day and it breaks my... show more Two weeks ago I woke up at 3 am to some people screaming outside of my house. I peeked out the window to see the house across the stress from me in flames. There was only 1 man that lived there with 4 of his dogs and everyone got out safely except for one dog. I see this man’s house every day and it breaks my heart. And I can’t get out of my mind that if those two punk kids weren’t walking by at that hour, this man MAY have died in the fire. He very well could have died. They most likely saved his life….

So of course, since we have a 2 yr old in the house, my mind has been going crazy. I couldn’t sleep the other night because our smoke detector isn’t hooked up. Because it goes off every 2 seconds with even the slightest of smoke (or burnt toast). And of course now since seeing that fire, it has me freaked out. Seeing how quickly the fire in this man’s house spread and how little smoke it takes to cause breathing problems, I told my husband to hook up the smoke alarm immediately. And it got me thinking…

How many of you check the batteries in your alarms like you’re supposed to? How many of you have working alarms? Do you check them? Have you discussed family safety in the event a fire was to take place? Escape routes for your kids? Meeting points?

I know I’m very guilty and don’t do any of this. But since the fire across the street, you better believe I’ll be more aware. It could happen to any one of us!

So I’m curious about other families….your thoughts?
Update: Wow, way to judge there WI Mom! I have a smoke detector in the house, we just took it down. I'm a great mother to my son and I don't intentionally put his life at risk. Are you kidding me? The fact that I'm asking this probably goes to show I care about his well being... Obviously I'm not alone... show more Wow, way to judge there WI Mom! I have a smoke detector in the house, we just took it down. I'm a great mother to my son and I don't intentionally put his life at risk. Are you kidding me? The fact that I'm asking this probably goes to show I care about his well being...

Obviously I'm not alone here....just read the other responses.
Update 2: Wow, WI Mom, you're one of a kind huh? I'm proud to say I'm not a perfect parent and that I do make mistakes. What parent is perfect? I'd love for you to give examples. Again, I'm a great mother and I don't need "yahoo" to determine how good or bad of a mother I am. I'm PROUD... show more Wow, WI Mom, you're one of a kind huh? I'm proud to say I'm not a perfect parent and that I do make mistakes. What parent is perfect? I'd love for you to give examples. Again, I'm a great mother and I don't need "yahoo" to determine how good or bad of a mother I am. I'm PROUD of the fact that I can admit I am not perfect but am always looking for ways to be a better Mom, hence why I'm researching fire escape plans and trying to figure out a plan that works for us.

But hey, you just stay up there on your high horse while all of us living in the real world focus on what's important rather than waste our time juding.