Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Chemistry Problem... Please Help...?

Hi, I have a chemistry problem..

Why is evaporation accompanied by cooling?

Thanks,

Elaine

• Dr W
    Favorite Answer

Evaporation is a change of state from liquid to gas. Liquids require heat to be added to them to change to a gaseous state. They get that heat from whatever they are in contact with. By removing heat from their surroundings, they in effect cool whatever they are in contact with.

****** ibn_alneel *******

this topic actually belongs to thermodynamics. Aka the study of heat motion. Since it is the study of motion, technically it is a branch of physics. However, thermodynamics is taught in chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, etc. So this question does belong here... cheers.

Because evaporation of a liqiud needs heat energy to change to gaseuos phase.

So the liqiud takes heat energy from the surrounding causing cooling

Example: when u come out of the swimming pool, u feel cold because the water on ur body absorbs heat energy from ur body to evaporate .

Evaporation is a process where the liquid is changing its phase from liquid to solid. This change of phase requires energy, exactly as the oppositee well known melting process - that requires heating.

Therefor evaporation isaccompaniedd by cooling.

• Leigh

You've had a couple of good answers already but have you considered that the total depth of your tank is probably much less that the upper levels of Arowanas native waters. It is perfectly normal for them to use the upper three feet - all of a normal arowana tank. I weaned my Asian off live food onto pellets by throwing a few crickets in at the same time. BTW - it should be paternal care, fraternal involves brothers not fathers.

• Muslim

because liquids need energy (heat) to evaporate, thus it absorb this energy from the surface that it touches and cause cooling.

I hope I understood your question well.

====

and by the way this is physics question not chimestry :)

because heat is release during evaporation