United States Citizenship?

Hi!

I've just get the US Citizenship and I'm very proud of it. (I'm from Eastern Europe) Most of my friends tell my that I'm a very good US patriot. If US would fight in a war I definitely would be there to fight for US. But I was thinking: Should I give up my birth citizenship ?

What do you think ?

Favorite Answer

No. And you did not give up your citizenship when you became a US citizen. The supreme court has already ruled on that issue but for some reason people think that you do lose citizenship.

From the US Department of State:

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

When you took your oath as an American Citizen you renounced all other alligences, you've already renounced your prior citizenship.

You already have when you became a US Citizen.