Why don't we get rid of the electoral college?

Wouldn't it be easier and more fair to just go by popular vote? Is there a good reason to keep the electoral college?
Update: I know that they're trying to make the states more equal - but don't the large states ALREADY dominate the election? And wouldn't this force the candidates to actualy give attention to those in the minority in certain states? It just seems unfair that in many states, (but not all, if I remember my... show more I know that they're trying to make the states more equal - but don't the large states ALREADY dominate the election? And wouldn't this force the candidates to actualy give attention to those in the minority in certain states? It just seems unfair that in many states, (but not all, if I remember my high school government class....)if 51% of the population votes for a candidate, ALL of the electoral votes go to that person. So the other 49% aren't even counted!