Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

why don't we get rid of the electoral college?

Wouldn't it be easier and more fair to just go by popular vote? Is there a good reason to keep the electoral college?

Update:

I know that they're trying to make the states more equal - but don't the large states ALREADY dominate the election? And wouldn't this force the candidates to actualy give attention to those in the minority in certain states? It just seems unfair that in many states, (but not all, if I remember my high school government class....)if 51% of the population votes for a candidate, ALL of the electoral votes go to that person. So the other 49% aren't even counted!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Because the electoral college prevents a few large states from overruling all the other states.

    Without the electoral college, the only votes that would matter would be those of the people living in the five largest states.

    In effect the electoral college makes a presidential candidate consider the views of a wider variety of people.

  • 4 years ago

    Amend the Constitution. But I recommend you do some study on how teh Elector College actually works. You don't display much depth of understanding in your question. You're still ahead of True Conservative, who has never, apparently, read the Consitution. Most states do use a winner-take-all approach on their electors. I favor apportioning electors by congressional district with two per state going to the majoiry winner in the state--same representation as any individual has in Congress. Maine and Nebraska use apportioment plans that work a little differently. But the Constitution leaves all decision on elections other than what is specified, to the States. So they'd have to make that decision. Abolishing the College and going to a straight popular vote would be a mistake. You'd end up with the 25-30 largest cities being the only votes that count and thus the only voters that get attention.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Because we are a nation made up of 50 individual states with individual rights. If you take away the electoral college we will no longer have those rights and Ny, CA and TX will be deciding all of our elections. The electoral college keeps us free.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Because it would take a 2/3rds vote ...based on people elected from the electoral college.

    It is a historical quirk that geographical area is an element to weight votes. One could easily remark that age or height or education or even income could weight votes.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No. It's a fact that many people don't follow or understand politics. And the vast majority of people are members of their party of choice because their parents were. That tells you something. Yes it would be more fair to go by the popular vote, but all we get are soundbites in our busy lives and the members of the electoral college eat sleep and breathe politics and society.

  • Because of cinorom toidi Obama voters.

  • 1 decade ago

    do the even teach civics in high school anymore....?

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Because the masses are mindless :]

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    why dont we just get rid of the constitution while we are at it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.