Adam R asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 1 decade ago

Moving to Mexico????

Well, as mysterious as another country can be, how do you AMERICANS see a US citizen living in Mexico??

Better, worse, more or less the same, or what??

I know a person who has been living in Mexico for a year and a half (or so) and doing well there.

Please tell me your opinions about US citizens living off to Mexico, is Mexico right for me?? In what kind of jobs am I likely to be hired there?? I've heard offers from big companies (such as Bimbo, Telmex, TV Azteca...) Mostly, the jobs they offer are from English Teaching fields, the reason I see for that, is that all those companies want to make agreements, trades, and overall, to introduce their products to the American market???

BUT, TELL ME MORE ABOUT DALIY LIFE IN MEXICO:

What about:

.Best cities or destinations

.Danger

.Relocating process

.Car permissions

.Setting your own bussiness in Mexico and what kind would be the best option

.Weather

.Schools

.Spanish courses

.ETC.

INFORMATION WEBSITES, OPINIONS FROM YOU, AND FINALLY, IF YOU'VE LIVED IN MEXICO (AND IF NOT, BUT YOU KNOW SOMETHING), PLEASE JOT DOWN EVERYTHING YOU KNOW.

ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS.

Favorite Answer

Living in Mexico as a retiree could be quite the life. Living and working an honest job everyday in Mexico isn't so glorious. As people have already said, getting an employer to sponsor your work visa is virtually impossible. Even if you have a college education and go into a professional field of work you could still end up making much less than $200 USD a week. You can survive on that amount but you won't be doing anymore than just that: surviving.

Going to Mexico as a tourist is fine. You don't see the "real" Mexico through staying at the beach in Cancun. Get ready to give up all the ammenities you are accustomed to and live with only the basics.

The weather really depends on where you're moving. Where I live in Tepic it is one of two extremes: it won't rain for months and the dryness and humidity are unbearable, or it rains everyday almost all day long.

As for your car, the permission is not the part you need to worry about. If your car is newer than a 1998 model you have no other option other than to keep your American tags and pay both American and Mexican insurance.

I could talk all day about the ups and downs of moving to Mexico but the way it sounds is that you have never been there. Take a short vacationt to a non-tourist part and stay a few weeks and really try to have a true Mexico experience and your decision should be easier.

Hi! Well, I'm mexican, but I was born and raised in Mexico, middle-high class, and have had contact with a lot of Americans that have lived in Mexico. In fact, during my years in several of my school levels, including my master's degree, I had some american instructors that were living in Mexico.

The first thing you need to know is where are you going to move. If you move to big cities such as Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey, there's a big chance that you might find a good job. Teaching english is good, but teaching IN english is even better. If you have some college education, or even master's degrees, there are several high schools that would hire you to teach classes in english, or even universities. Tec de Monterrey (www.itesm.mx) is usually a very good place for americans to go and teach. That's also a good place for networking, you could begin there and then move.

There are some larger cities, such as Leon, Torreon, Puebla, Merida, Veracruz, San Luis Potosi, and Queretaro, for instance, that could also have some good job opportunities. Some americans especialize in exporting regional crafts and selling them in the US, such as furniture, candy, or even liquors. There's a lot of opportunities.

For destinations, there's a whole range and variety of things to do. If you like beaches, there are tons and tons of beaches. I would recommend you moving either to the pacific coast (Guadalajara is close enough to everything, including good beaches, and big) or to the caribbean (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or even Merida). There are also some old pretty towns (Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Morelia, San Luis, Real de Catorce), natural places (Chiapas, Oaxaca), archaeological sites (Teotihuacan, Palenque, Chichen Itza). There's a wide variety.

Dangerwise, it all depends where you go, when do you go. It all involves a little bit of common sense. There are some places in the US that you know you should not go there. Knowing people in the place where you're going, and learning spanish, makes you WAY less vulnerable. There are going to be some mexicans that will be very friendly and greet you from the beginning. Most mexicans are very nice people. They will take care of you, definitely.

Car permissions, well, I'm affraid that you will not be able to bring a car from the US and legalize it. There are a lot of restrictions, I don't really know the laws, but they have been somehow controversial. And, besides, there's always a lot of bureaucracy. I would buy a car in Mexico. There's a lot of dealerships, and you could buy used cars as well. They might not be as cheap as in the US, though.

The weather is extremely different, it all depends on the region you go. The northern states have usually extreme temperatures according to the season of the year. Some towns in the center of the country have a high altitude, therefore making them cooler. Guadalajara, for example, has a very nice climate. They have around 75 F as a high in the summer, so think about that. Most mexican cities away from the northern strip are high, therefore making them cooler.

For business, if you have a good idea, that's the way to go. I've met americans that have had successful businesses. If you could do something related to Mexico and the US, that would be great. You will have the big advantage of knowing the two countries, and potential things that you could trade. If you engage in those activities, there are a lot of possible benefits from the mexican government. Remember, they want to sell and expand the economy, you want to make business. Perfect match!

For schools, private schools are the best. I don't really know a lot of spanish courses, but I know that there are special programs in which you go and stay at someone's house and learn. A better way would be to take some classes, a summer for instance, meet friends and move in. There could be mexicans (nice and respectable) willing to move with you, so that could help a lot.

Finally, I want to wish you the best. There are not many people that think about moving to Mexico, especially people from the US. However, many don't realize that Mexico has a lot of possibilities, especially if you have vision to do things. I hope this information is good.

Your primary concern will be getting a work visa...nearly impossible. You must find an employer to hire you and write a letter to immigration statingin he cannot find a Mexican citizen for that job.

That means you need to have advanced education and much needed job skills. They are not going to grant you a work visa for a factory job...there are thousands of unemployed Mexicands available for those jobs. There are plenty of Mexicans who speak and can teach English...English teachers are not needed. Those I know make about $5.00 an hour...a huge salary in Mexico! But there is no need for more English teachers. Even if you got a job in Mexico, the pay is a pittance compared to pay in the U.S. Most people earn less than $10.00 a day. The only practical way to move to Mexico is to be very rich, or to be retired with a pension. If you need to work, it is totally impractical.

That's way too much for this funky little Yahoo Answers and if anyone tries to answer all that they are nuts. You got a lot of research ahead if you are serious (like Google)

I would get a job first unless you have a lot of bucks 'cause rumors are not always true. Generally I advise to come here to retire and not to work ... especially if you are not familiar with Mexico and don't speak Spanish

Source(s): I`ve been here over three years http://sparks-mexico.com/

To add up to that, these mexican companies you mention are owned by the second richest man alive according to Forbes which by the way is Mexican only second to Warren Buffet. The companies are well positioned and respected in the US. Good luck