Copying fashion designs?

I am a dress maker. I have been asked to copy some fashion designs from a clothing catalogue. Please could you tell me what the copyright law is on this. If I copy other fashion designers designs to sell will I get in trouble??? How is it that the high street and some internet websites sell copies of fashion items and dont get in trouble?

Favorite Answer

Don't do that it's illegal. According to clothing design (in the UK at least) there has to be 36 clear differences between one designers clothes and somebody else's according to UK law. These differences can be minimal however,for example, the way buttons are attached to the fabric.

Matthew (18 yr old entrepreneur).

TheSockButler.com

don't copy other people's designs. Be original. Every time you sell someone else's design they lose money. And people with shares in their companies eg. burberry lose money. don't be a copy cat. If you can't come up with your own ideas get a different profession.

• tyesha

you may no longer. whilst a guy or woman is going to a internet site the request made is for the information superhighway internet site to deliver it is data to the interior of sight device so the interior of sight device can demonstrate them, making despite you place on your internet site attainable to the guy viewing your internet site. i might propose which you place your organisation sort as a watermark over the kind designs.

well if you copy the exact thing then u will get in trouble but as long as ur just taking ideas not not making something similar its ok i think that you are ok..........