Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

I wasn't allowed to give blood (behcet's syndrome)?

I have given blood before with very few problems, but today I couldn't because I might have behcet syndrome/disease. The nurse had never even heard of it and I wasn't very good at describing it. I'm going to go to the doctor and ask him but it's past 6 now so I have to wait until the morning. Does anybody know anything about behcet's syndrome and giving blood. I live in Ireland if that helps.

Behcet's syndrome has different characteristics, there is nothing wrong with my blood vessels.

Favorite Answer

OK,

Behçet's disease is a rare autoimmune disorder that causes ulcers and skin lesions and is often wrongly assumed to be sexually transmitted. Behçet's disease, an autoimmune response where the immune system turns on the body, causes inflammation of parts of the body. In particular, small blood vessels around the body become inflamed, a condition known as vasculitis. The cause of Behçet's remains unknown, but it's often preceded by a viral infection, for example, which may trigger the autoimmune process, causing the body to attack its own blood vessels and making them inflamed. Experts in the field of Behçet's research agree the causes may be genetic. Life for people with Behçet's is made more difficult because of misunderstandings about the illness. With the appearance of ulcers on the mouth and genitals, it's often incorrectly assumed the condition is infectious and sexually transmitted - it's not either of these. Most people with this disorder suffer from frequent headaches. No specific test can diagnose Behcet's and its symptoms all have other possible causes. It needs a great deal of awareness to recognise the pattern of symptoms that, pieced together, may indicate Behçet's. Tests are used to rule out other conditions that cause similar symptoms. A special skin-prick test can be performed that, if positive, adds more weight to Behçet's being the correct diagnosis.

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

I add a link with details of this subject, under the contact details for the society-

Behcet's Syndrome Society

Tel: (U.K) 01488 71116

(omit the zero when calling from outside UK)

http://www.patient.co.uk/

showdoc/40001203/

Hope this helps

matador 89

This is a disease that is characterized by inflammation of the blood vessels. I would imagine that the nurse you spoke with was concerned about being able to get the needle into the vein, and also wondering if that action would irritate your already compromised veins.

Behçet's syndrome is a multisystem, relapsing, chronic vasculitic disorder with prominent mucosal inflammation. Common manifestations include recurrent oral ulcers, ocular inflammation, genital ulcers, and skin lesions. The most serious manifestations are blindness, neurologic or GI manifestations, venous thromboses, and arterial aneurysms. Diagnosis is clinical, using international criteria. Treatment is mainly symptomatic but may involve corticosteroids for acute severe ocular or neurologic manifestations or immunosuppressants for severe chronic lesions.

• Ball

2

Source(s): Ultimate Diabetes eBook http://ReverseDiabetesToday.enle.info/?q3KS

1

Source(s): Techniques for Curing Hypothyroidism http://HypothyroidismRevolution.emuy.info/?6i38