Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

The new President will?

undoubtly appoint 2-3 Supreme Court Justices. Is anyone basing their vote on this fact?

Favorite Answer

Well not really, I believe the balance in the court is achieved by going with the flow of who is elected president and the congress that resides over the appointment. I think both Obama and McCain are smart enough to understand the need for a balanced court and will not jam it with anyone too liberal or conservative unless of course scallia leaves... in which case someone has to replace his ways)

• swf42

yes.... and i wish more people were paying attentioin to this !

http://www.rickwarrennews.com/transcript/civil_for...

Warren. THE COURTS. LET ME ASK IT THIS WAY. WHICH EXISTING SUPREME COURT JUSTICE WOULD YOU NOT HAVE NOMINATED?

Obama. ... I WOULD NOT HAVE NOMINATED CLARENCE THOMAS. ... I DON'T THINK THAT HE WAS A STRONG ENOUGH JURIST OR LEGAL THINKER AT THE TIME FOR THAT ELEVATION. SETTING ASIDE THE FACT THAT I PROFOUNDLY DISAGREE WITH HIS INTERPRETATION OF A LOT OF CONSTITUTION. I WOULD NOT NOMINATE JUSTICE SCALIA ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY DOUBT ABOUT HIS INTELLECTUAL BRILLIANCE BECAUSE HE AND I JUST DISAGREE,

YOU KNOW. HE TAUGHT AT UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO AS DID I IN THE LAW SCHOOL. JOHN ROBERTS I HAVE TO SAY WAS A TOUGHER QUESTION ONLY BECAUSE I FIND HIM TO BE A VERY COMPELLING PERSON, YOU KNOW, IN SERVICES INDIVIDUALLY. HE'S CLEARLY SMART, VERY THOUGHTFUL. I WILL TELL YOU THAT HOW I'VE SEEN HIM OPERATE SINCE HE WENT TO THE BENCH CONFIRMS THE SUSPICIONS THAT I HAD AND THE REASON THAT I VOTED AGAINST HIM AND I'LL GIVE YOU ONE VERY SPECIFIC INSTANCE AND THIS IS NOT A STUMP SPEECH. ... ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT JOBS OF I BELIEVE THE SUPREME COURT IS TO GUARD AGAINST THE ENCROACHMENT OF THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH ON THE POWER OF THE OTHER BRANCHES AND I THINK THAT HE HAS BEEN A LITTLE BIT TOO WILLING AND TOO EAGER TO GIVE AN ADMINISTRATION WHETHER IT'S MINE OR GEORGE BUSH'S MORE POWER THAN I THINK THE CONSTITUTION ORIGINALLY INTENDED."

Warren to Mccain - WHICH EXISTING SUPREME COURT JUSTICES WOULD YOU NOT HAVE NOMINATED?

Mccain WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, JUSTICE GINSBURG, JUSTICE BREYER, JUSTICE SOUTER ER AND JUSTICE STEVENS.

Warren - WHY? TELL ME WHY?

Mccain WELL, I THINK THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED

STATES HAS INCREDIBLE RESPONSIBILITY IN NOMINATING PEOPLE TO THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT. THEY ARE LIFETIME POSITIONS AS WELL AS THE FEDERAL BENCH. THERE WILL BE TWO MAYBE THREE VACANCIES. THIS NOMINATION SHOULD BE BASED ON THE CRITERIA OF PROVEN RECORD OF STRICTLY ADHERING TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND NOT LEGISLATING FROM THE BENCH. SOME OF THE WORST DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE BY LEGISLATING FROM THE BENCH. AND BY THE WAY, JUSTICES ALITO AND ROBERTS ARE TWO OF MY MOST RECENT FAVORITES, BY THE WAY. THEY REALLY ARE. THEY ARE VERY FINE AND I'M PROUD OF PRESIDENT BUSH FOR NOMINATING THEM.

Yes, Obama. And for people out there who don't like my answer, consider this. The current court is leaning far right, further right than a majority of americans. By appointing some leftists, the court will be more in balance with main street.

There's more important things right now. Like the economy, 2 wars, the Russian threat.

My vote for Obama is not based solely on this, but it is of major importance. McCain has said that he will overturn Roe v. Wade. Personally, I am pro-life, but politically I am pro-choice. This is one statute that must remain and cannot be overturned.

nope but i brought this up 8 months ago

and the experts here all said

no its the war that's important

Yes. I am taking that into consideration and will not be voting for John McCain. Roe vs. Wade is very important.

Source(s): OBAMA/BIDEN '08

This definitely a key issue for me. I don't want to go back to the back-alley, wire hanger days.

Yes, that's why I'm voting for Obama. A Clinton supporter.

we need someone who works for the people and not big business. that is why i am going for Obama.