Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Metallic or Plastic Aftertaste in Water?

I am the only one in my family that tastes this in our house. My parents say they dont taste it and my lil bro is inconsistent. At first I thought it was just the filter in the fridge that needs changing but now it seems to be all or any water I drink (bottle, tap, filtered....). I am crazy or is this something serious? This is a lil scary.

• Drew
    Favorite Answer

A metallic taste in the mouth is a fairly common problem — and usually not serious. Although you don't have actual taste buds that detect metals, the perception of the taste is described as "metallic."

A metallic taste can be due to many factors. But the most common causes of a metallic taste are:

Medications such as some antibiotics, prenatal vitamins and antidepressants, as well as drugs used to treat high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis and kidney stones.

Oral problems, including oral infections such as gingivitis or periodontitis, tooth infections, and poor oral hygiene. Sometimes the cause of a metallic taste can't be determined. In many cases, the problem goes away on its own after several months or longer. Proper oral hygiene can help, including regularly brushing your teeth and brushing and scraping your tongue. Done properly, dental restorations — such as fillings and inlays — are rarely the cause a metallic taste.

you do not point out some necessary issues :: the place is your water coming from? refrigerator, faucet, bottle? you ought to style issues others won't be able to or are used to. try bottled water anybody could drink for some days, then the 'previous' water. Is it different? .