Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

The coordinates after two 3d rotations.?

Picture the unit circle. Now imagine the line from the origin to point (1,0). Now lets add a dimension of depth to this point making it (1, 0, 0). Suppose i rotate this point 45 degrees on the z axis to get (sqrt2/2,sqrt2/2,0). Now suppose i rotate it again but on the Y axis 45 degrees (and in all honesty i'm not even sure where exactly it would end up) and yet again 45 degrees on the x axis. Would the point now be at (sqrt3/3,sqrt3/3,sqrt3/3)? And hell if you actually know how to calculate this without making a freaking unit sphere in google sketchup do share.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

After the second rotation, it would be at (imagine just rotating (sqrt(2)/2, 0, 0) first) at

(1/2, sqrt(2)/2, 1/2)

After the third rotation, it would be at

(1/2, 1/2 + sqrt(2)/4, 1/2 - sqrt(2)/4).

This is a bit more difficult to see, but follows but simply doing the rotation to the last two coordinates.

Another thing to be careful of: the *order* in which you do the rotations makes a difference! If you had done the x axis rotation first, then the y axis, and then the z axis, the 1/2 would have been in the z position.

If you know how to do rotations in two dimensions, then rotations around the axes in three dimensions is fairly easy: just do the 2D rotation to the coordinates you are not rotating about. For more complicated rotations, it is best to do a matrix multiplication.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.