Only for those who saw all four. Steve Allen, Jack Parr, Johnny Carson, or Jay Leno? Who was your favorite?

All good ans., no right or wrong/just opinions. Mine are: Parr, my favorite, very quirky/fascinating to watch; Carson, second, brilliant timing/comedian; Allen, third, variety of talent/man for all seasons; Leno OK//Carson's shoes hard to fill.

Since I am new to this section and there were many good ans. I'll let "all-u-all decide" (recently just moved to Texas). Thanks for the stars and the ans., best group I've found to date.

Best Answer

Steve Allen was truly funny.

Jack Parr brought out 'water closet' jokes and had the nation in an uproar.

Johnny Carson came out with a clothing line sold at JC Pennys and Sears ( great merchandising effort and the first) rather tacky clothes though.

Jay Leno, not funny, but has a great collection of Duesenberg autos and British and American motorcycles ( Vincents to BSA, Triumph, Nortons and Harley-Davidson, Indian and maybe a Moto-Guzzi in for good measure)

For Humor Johnny Carson, the Jane Fonda saga of "get that cat off your lap first"...the interview with Arnold Palmers wife " bet that makes his putter stiff"...and he introduced George Carlin and Richard Pryor to the world.

I liked Steve Allen and Jack Parr, but Carson was my favorite...hands down! I guess Leno is ok, but I just never caught onto him. The only reason I'll watch the show now is if there's a particular guest or group appearing that I want to see.

Carson would be my first pick since I would have watched him the most. Steve Allen actually started this whole late night TV thing and I recall watching but I wasn't allowed to stay up past about 7pm as a kid.

Leno is ok and I really like his car collection and though I am no prude, think he gets a little too R-rated now a days and I am rarely up late enough to catch the whole show. So basically I slept through the first 2 pretty much and sleep through Leno so I guess that leaves Carson.

• DeeJay

Being 73 I did see all four.

Leno can't hold a candle to Jack or Johnny.

Jack and Johnny were two different sorts.

Can you remember the deal when Jack walked off the show over the controversy over the "Water Closet"

Steve Allen was very good also.

Steve, Jack and Johnny turned me into a night person. I just didn't think I could live without watching them every night.

I can take or leave Jay Leno. It is time for Jay to leave and I say this because of the network and his writers. He has too much talent to have someone else pulling his strings.

Jay can't seem to relate to his young audience.

How I miss those guys and all the antics they pulled of night after night.

Great question and it brought back a lot of memories.

DeeJay.

• dora

I thought Johnny Carson and Jack Parr were arrogant jerks, but Steve Allen did have some very creative humor and an annoying wife. Leno is o.k., but don't need to see him every night.

Johnny Carson

Steve Allen had a great cast of regulars for his zany antics. Jack Parr was always entertaining. I appreciate Jay Leno's comedy. Some of us saw him in a performance in Anaheim, Calif. years ago and liked the fact that he did not do 'blue material'. My favorite was Johnny Carson. His 'Great Karnak' routine usually had me laughing the loudest.

Johnny Carson.

I liked Steve Allen & Johnny Carson the best.

Johnny Carson was my favorite, then Steve Allen.