purchased some land in SW Minnesota. The huge barn that is put togethere with Round dowels square pegs,info?

again no nails/screws were used.. only dowels and pegs... Where can I search for information about old barns before I burn it down??

OK, if I don't burn it down, where would I go or who would I call to see if they were intersted in it?? It is huge and I really don't want to deal with it.. Any and I mean any information would be greatly appreciated as I went to the city/county and they can only tell me that it was built in the late 1800's and it is still standing strong, even on the rocks that it was built on!!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like mortise and tenon...do a bit of research on this type of construction technique on-line.

This nail-free technique of building is usually completed by someone very skilled. It is rarely seen nowadays, except with true aficionados, and costs a pretty penny.

I would restore/keep it if at all possible! Sounds like a little gem.

Burn it down? That's a shame. Wooden pegs were very common in barn construction 100+ years ago. Some Amish still use them. Very good construction, very stable and sturdy. You may have a structure that could be put on the National Register. Barns are becoming a thing of the past that the Smithsonian in recent years deconstructed a barn and reconstructed it in one of its museums. You may find this link helpful.

http://stoltzfusbuilders.com/PressRoom.html

Do not burn it down, there is money there. If it is big enough and the right wood someone will buy it. If i lived closer to you, I would take it down and sell the wood. If you want to list go to www.barnpages.com. I do this for a living.

go to the city and see what history you can find.

also, dont burn down a barn in Minnesota! thats like sac religious! restore it, it will increase your property value.

Source(s): born and raised minnesota girl!
  • Frugal

I believe that would be timber framing and you may want to sell the wood, it's age and or type may be of greater value than you think.

It was probably built by the Quakers or the Amish.

Because they don't use modern tools. <}:-})