What are some good books to study Buddhism??

I want to study it because Christianity has never done anything but hurt me....I want to study a lot of different religions but haven't found any good, concise books about Buddhism....

No bad comments please....I will rate you bad or report you!!

Favorite Answer

An easy to read entry to Buddhism is Herman Hesse 'Siddhartha' .

The Buddha's Kalama Sutra

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.

Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

But when, after observation and analysis, you find anything that agrees with reason, and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

~

Source(s): Download 'Siddhartha' for free - http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2500 ~
  • P'ang

There are many excellent introductions to Buddhism. Of these, I recommend "It's Easier Than You Think" by Sylvia Boorstein.

This short book has several virtues. First, it's written by a senior Buddhist teacher and, as a result, conveys the warmth, wisdom, and wit of the tradition.

Second, it avoids jargon and sectarian views. Third, it sets out all of the major elements of the Buddhist tradition as elements of daily life, making it very easy to see how Buddhist teaching connects with the way we live. And, again, it's short.

Another option is "Buddhism for Dummies." I know it seems like a joke, but this book actually does a very good job at providing an overview of this vast tradition. While it doesn't contain the wisdom of "It's Easier," it is comprehensive in its descriptions of the various Buddhist traditions.

May this answer benefit you!

I was brought up in a Christian background and I had little interest & found a lot of contractions. Buddhism presents simple ideas, but also some profound teachings... but just go at your own pace.

Ones that I found were The Art of Happiness or Transform your Life. They are good at getting a background into Buddhism, also The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying can be a little bit hard going, but if you go at your own speed it's quite good :)

• fonner

You needless to say comprehend that Buddhism is extra a cultural ingredient, a life-type particularly, that would not conflict with a god-worshipping monothesic faith like Christianity. The coaching of Buddha by potential of Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai is remarkable. i found it to be a marvelous advent to Buddhism, having examine copies presented for visitors to examine in inn rooms in diverse countries including Thailand, Singapore, and Taiwan the place Buddhism is the same old faith. it is likewise available from many e book shops and from Amazon and eBay as revealed or ebooks. yet another source is discovered by potential of traveling and speaking to the persons in any Buddhist temple, and there's a minimum of one in almost each and every substantial city even in North united states of america.

Start with the basic texts. The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha is a nice compendium of various Buddhist text, some by the Buddha himself, some are from the Theravada tradition, and some are from the Mahayana tradition. It's a nice place to start.

Also try this website: http://www.buddhanet.net/

I've been to it before and it also has some various Buddhist books free on-line (Adobe files) which can be downloaded.

The Dali Lama (Buddhism's spiritual leader) wrote a book called "A Simple Path." I would recommend it as a nice intro for you.

He also wrote one called "The Art of Happiness" that is also very good.

Edit: Everard G's answer, in and of itself, is a great intro...

Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner, it's a good introduction to the Buddhist mindset for Westerners and is entertaining as well.

• mark s

how to practice : the way to a meaningful life

H.H. The Dalai lama

read all you can about someone named siddhartha, shakyamuni or the Buddha (all in the same) find out about him and why he did what he did and what he discovered and how.

please please please watch this

add a detail to your question on what you think

i used to be on a similar page as you

but this will change your life if you let it.

obviously you are searching for a greater power and you obviously haven't found it yet.

you won't enjoy being a christian unless you have an intimate relationship with god!!

please reply AFTER you watch this in detail

THANKS