Have any of you experienced side effects from anaesthesia from surgery?

I had surgery ten days ago (everything went very well, and I'm able to bend my left knee for the first time in over a year again — YEA!), but ever since I had surgery, I've been having mood swings.

Some solicitor called last Wednesday on a phishing expidition: he said he was from a collection company, so I asked him some baiting questions and he took the bait — upon which I confronted him. When he became defensive and tried to defend his behavior, I absolutely *blew up* at him and ended up screaming torrents of profanities at him!

This is NOT something I normally do.

I found out on Friday that I was going to have to wear anti-embolism hose for two months to prevent blood clots (which run rampant in my family — in my family, if you don't die of cancer, you're going to die of a stroke!) — and when my partner started going on and on and on about how I'll have to make sure to wear these day and night — I blew up at him, too!

After surgery, I went through three days where I had more or less continuous hiccups (which was annoying), but these mood swings are *weird*.

Anyone else here experienced side effects (like mood swings) from anaesthesia following surgery?

I'm posting this here because frankly, I trust answers from gay folks who have had surgery more than I trust answers from straight folks who may be dealing with their own homophobia — and right now, I just might blow up at them, too!

Best Answer

Actually, what you describe sounds like a form of depression that occurs in some people after surgery, accompanied by anxiety. It is quite common, especially when you are going through adjustments that you don't like or even feels threatening. It's better that you have that bit of "spunk" in you, because it indicates your desire to recover and get back to normal.

• noname

The mood swings might not be from the anasthesia, but from some of the other drugs they pumped into you. You need to talk to the surgeon, the anasthesiologist, and your own doctor. If your emotions are out of whack from the chemicals, maybe there are some dangerous physical side effects going on too.

I haven't had emotional side effects from surgery, but once I had a bunch of acne after a minor procedure. The dermatologist told me to call the doctor and get a list of the drugs I'd received, and she pointed out one as the likely culprit.

My advice is to get a written list of everything they put into you. Then consult a pharmacist, psychologist, and internet and think about other side effects.

Source(s): I'm straight, and this question is relevant to straight people too. You don't need to self-identify as gay in order to discuss knee surgery and anasthesia!

Not personally, I was an Operating Room nurse for 6 years followed by 4 years as a Cardiovascular Recovery/ICU nurse so my experience is only with patients who are just coming out of anesthesia not long term effects.

I'm sorry you are not feel your usual self. The next time you feel yourself starting to escalate, STOP! take a deep breath and remind yourself, "It's the anesthesia"

The behavior you described is my normal behavior. So maybe if I have anesthesia I will become a more pleasant person???

When I had oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth, waking up from the anesthesia wasn't fun. I felt nauseated and had the hiccups. And then I cried for no reason. But that was about it. Once the anesthesia wore off the side effects went away.

Are you taking pain medication? Maybe your mood-swings are from that and not the anesthesia? I've never heard of the effects from general anesthesia lasting that long. Maybe you should phone your doctor and ask him.

• FTW

I've only ever had one surgery - last summer to repair a torn bicep and fooked up shoulder. I had some weird mood swings and feelings; but I attributed it to the pain meds I was taking. Several days after I stopped the percoset, I stopped having constant mood swings.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you find out what's going on! And congrats on a successful surgery!!!

I only had surgery once when I was 4, and I don't remember, but I'm wondering if what you're experiencing is more stress related.

Sometimes when I'm under a lot of stress, I'm able to keep it under control, but when I finally feel like it's over (like you after your surgery) all the feelings start over flowing and coming out at the most inappropriate times. It sounds like what's happening here.

Anyway, I'm glad surgery went well. And don't worry, you'll get your feelings under control soon. Hugs to you.

The only side effects I've ever had from anesthesia have been severe asthma attacks. But when I was a baby and a youngling I had constant attacks of pneumonia and asthma. Growing up I had asthma a good bit. (I just had pneumonia recently, in fact. Awful.) God, thinking back I really was a sickly sissy of a child. lol

Anyway, yeah, my cancer surgeries always ended in asthma attacks.

Hope you get to feeling better! =)

I've never had surgery luckily but I have had needles stuck in me which made me faint and coming round I felt dizzy, I don't like needles at the best of times and ps I hope you don't flip out on me cos I'm sure you must be really feeling low enough without anybody causing you more grief and whatnot ps I hope everything gets better by the way

Yes and no. I had an adenoidectomy when I was six and was not irritable at all, but I was put under for oral electrosurgery last year and I was VERY crabby for several days afterwards. Regardless, you should talk to your doctor about this.

• rose p

I am sorry that you have had so much trouble.

I have only had one bad experience. On my first visit to a dentist I was given ether and was sick for days after. other visits for ops. have been successful and painless.

Rose P.