Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 decade ago

Is "ginch / gonch" really Canadian slang for underwear?

"Ginch Gonch" is a Canadian underwear company, and they say their name comes from the canadian slang word(s) for underwear "ginch / gonch"

now, i'm Canadian, but i've never heard the term before... how common is the slang?

• C S
    Favorite Answer

Gitch and Gotch are words that i am familiar with -- both refer to underwear. I can't say anyone in my generation (born in 70s) would use the term, but we do know what it means. My parents (born in the late 40s) use the term quite often. I can't remember them using any other term for undies.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): ginch gonch canadian slang underwear: https://biturl.im/KGBev
  • rezai

Ginch Gonch

• Laurel

Ok Im a 38 yr old women and if my man took off his pants and I seen those I think I'd start laughing. Kinda reminds me of the men's underwear with the elephant trunks ROFL

Heard it first from a dude from up north Whitehorse way. Ginch and gonch used seperately. 1979

Yes i have heard them before, it's actually "Gitch and Gotch" I believe those slangs were more prevalant in the 80's, dont think they are used as much today though.

• tess

Well, it's obviously a term that the old timers on here will remember. In the 70's we used to call them gaunch

Wow. I've lived in Canada all my life and I've never herd this before. Maybe it may have been used a long time ago. Ha, I just asked all my buds if they were wearing a Ginch or a Gonch and they just seemed confused. They all asked what the heck it was, haha. That proves they don't know any more than I do.

I hope I helped. May I please ask if you can answer my question? It's kinda of an emergency and I still havn't gotten any answers. Thanks for your time! Me and my friends really appreciate it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AimQQ...

Source(s): my mind, experence, and knowledge

Am? never heard that term before am canadian..

You bet your sweet bippy they are fairly common. At least they are here on the west coast. Trouble is, I don't know where they derive from. I'm from Vancouver, and my wife is originally from Calgary. She calls them ginch, and I say gonch, but we both mean underpants. In the UK they call them knickers.

Source(s): No websites. Probably picked it up in the gutter.