Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

please only answer this question if you are genuinly religious and believe the written word of the bible?

i have tried to read the bible (i am open minded about God and Christ), and a lot of what i read sounds supernatural, unreal , unbelievable and in some cases downright silly, and I mean no disrespect to devout christians, but i flatter myself that i am quite intelligent. are you offended if i say that quite frankly i find it difficult to believe in the word of the bible (as much as i would like to), do you think i am a fool, a heretic , or just ignorant if i question your beliefs. the only thing i would say is that if God created me with this brain, why do i then question him

Best Answer

One thing that you should consider when reading the Bible is that a large part of it is a very condensed history of this world. I bring that up because when you read stories where God is doing miracles it can seem unreal because it sounds like every other week God was parting the red sea or something like that and we know that those types of things don't happen in everyday life.

Having started there, you can consider that the Bible is a book detailing supernatural events from the very first page. It's a book that makes no excuses for the assumption that the reader should believe that there is an almighty supernatural Creator God who can do whatever He wants to do with the things that He by his awesome power has made.

Some of the stories may sound silly like there being a "talking snake" in the Garden of Eden but when you research the whole of the Bible you find out that this being wasn't some reptile but a powerful and evil angel who rebelled against God and wanted to destroy His creation.

Revelation 12:7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

It's only natural to have a lot of questions about how people can believe some of the things told about in the Bible. All I can tell you in this short space is that there are answers to your questions. You can find some of them by clicking the Answers button @ http://web.express56.com/~bromar or by looking at some of the Answers links on the Free Stuff page of that site.

It's all about faith and true love of God or as I know him Jehovah.You can have the greatest brain alive but if you can't give your self over to searching humbly for God without pride or vanity you'll miss the mark.

Rev 22:17-Let anyone hearing come and take life's water free.

Rom2:4,4:Do you not know the kindly quality of God is trying to lead you to repentance.

Zeph.2:3-Seek Jehovah all you meek ones you maybe concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger

reasons to believe in God-

Ps19:1-'The heavens are declaring the the Glory of God [creation]

Ps. 104:24- All his works are in wisdom the earth is full of his productions.

Rom.1:20- His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation onward , because they are perceived by the thing made.

God is real person

Heb 9:24- Christ entered... into heaven itself ,now to appear before the person of God for us.

Jn 4:24 God is a spirit.

Jn.7.28-He that has seen me is real said Jesus.

!Cor15:44 If there is a physical body , there is also a spiritual one.

!Tim 1:11- The happy God.

Rom10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.

Nope, I don't think you're a fool, heretic, or ignorant. I've questioned my own beliefs numerous times. God IS supernatural. That's the thing. We're natural. Our minds can't fully comprehend everything there is to know about God. There's even a verse in the Bible that says "The secret things belong to the Lord. The revealed things are put forth for God's children forever" That means God keeps some things confusing on purpose.

There's an aspect in Christianity that requires faith. We can't fully understand it - we just gotta believe in it. I'll use a metaphor or something - hm. For instance, we don't understand how EVERY single thing in our body works, yet we know it's working. God gave us brains and let us be free. He gave us the freedom to choose whether we'll have faith in His existance or ignore Him.

I hope this helped somewhat.

You can question him because he allows you to. And why do you not find it easy to believe what the Holy Scriptures say? You said it yourself, you flatter your self that you are so intelligent. That is pride, and that is what is standing in your way. Remove the pride and prejudice and you will find it easy to understand.