Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

why are religious people against Atheists?

we pose no threat to religion, we just see things as they are , we don't try to convert, we don't door knock, we don't condemn anyone .

Why is it so hard for a religious person to except an atheists view?

Favorite Answer

G'day Aussie Jo!

(No, I'm not taking the piss, I'm also Australian.)

I wouldn't use religious to describe myself, but I am Christian...(yes, one of those "spiritual but not religious" types.) I am not against Atheists at all!

Of course I disagree with you...I believe that God exists, (and you don't), but isn't that just a difference of opinion that can be discussed politely? Of course it is.

"We just see things as they are"...your opinion again, allow me to disagree there too.

I also don't try to convert, not do I door-knock. I tell people what I believe if I ask, and I don't hide the fact that I am a Christian; but I don't wear it as a badge. I have invited people to church with me out of polieness, after we have had a chat about what each of us believes...and sometimes people come and sometimes they don't. And sometimes they come and don't "convert" to Christianity, and then we go to the pub.

"We don't condemn anyone." Ah, how long have you been on YA? I also don't comdemn anyone, and many Christians and Atheists on here don'e either, we do have a large community of respectful and intelligent correspondents on here. But some atheists are here just for a piss-take and are just as offensive as the "Fundies" with their judgementalism.

As an atheist you may quietly agree with the sentiment, but anyone who types to the effect that "belief in a god is stupid" is condemning. I shrug it off, (because I disagree), but that doesn't mean it wasn't impolite.

Why is it hard to accept your point of view? Because it puzzles us I suppose.

I have no issue with your right to be atheist, and good on you for having thought about the question and come up with an answer, but why anyone would want to believe in the absence of divinity, and quite how you can come to that understanding, is baffling to me. I suggest my Christianity is a puzzle to you along pretty much the same lines, which is why atheists seem to struggle with the views of Christians.

But relax Jo, we're not out to get you: we're just here for the fun of the debate, and the hope that we might actually learn something...just like you are.

Have a great Sunday!

(And carn the Wallabies...I live in England with South Africans and I'm a very happy little Aussie today.)

:-)

by statement:

1. No you don't but you perceive a threat to you. When religious people express their constitutional right of freedom of speech, you perceive that as a threat to you. When you perceive others as a threat and throw shots at them, don't be surprised if they throw shots back at you. In other words don't throw rocks at the invisible monster and then run away.

2. Sure you see things as they are. Still you see things under the pretext of your perfect little world. If it doesn't fit then the person has mental problems. I have seen it posted here that atheists can't do anything wrong, because wrong is subjective and due to circumstances not under his/her control. WTF?!?!?

3. No, you don't try to convert. I believe you call it educating.

4. Ha ha , I like to see that. Go and knock on some doors and I bet you that some religious person will invite you in and preach to you for hours. Plus they will offer you dinner too.

Besides no need to knock on doors when the internet can do the same thing.

5. *blink blink* I am not even going to touch on that one.

6. Excuse me, why should anyone accept your views when atheists make it clear that they will not accept ours.

If you are waiting to be patted on the back for being an atheists, you won't get it from me. I could careless about what you don't believe in. If being an atheist makes you happy then good for you.

Deuteronomy: 28: 64-66

___

Is this a whining post or not?

Why do the Democrats and Republicans hate each other? Obviously, they think the results of the policies that the other proposes are disastrous.

Same thing, only when it comes to religion, the stakes are supposed to be much higher than mortal policies in the world. But, just like politicians, individuals usually get along and work together despite their point of view on this one issue.

Because when we say "There is no deity" they think that it's a personal attack on them. Or a slight against their god. When we politely disagree with them, they think it is persecution. When we want their religion out of our public schools, government, money, and pledges, they think that it is a sign of the end.

Some atheists do try and convert, and some are exactly what religious people think all of us are. But then, there are some theists out there that are exactly what us atheists say theists are. It's a loop.

I'm religious and in no way against atheists, or atheism. I think it's a natural religious expression, just as Satanism can be a viable form of Christianity, or refusing to watch the television is a viable and healthy form of cultural expression.

Source(s): For many many centuries in India there has been a religious tradition called Neti, Neti, which means I guess "not this, not this." So, a Neti, Neti seeker will go to each and every religion and point out what is not God, or that God is "not this."

However, atheist come into R&S and call Christians ignorant for believing the way they do. Atheist come to R&S and try to convince Christians that they're wrong. So, actually atheists do condemn, they do try to convert. However, they do it because they think Christianity is stupid. Why is it so hard for an atheist to accept a Christian's view?

not all religious people are against atheists, not all atheists are against religious people.

on that note, i think religious people perceive the responses they get from atheists as "bad attitudes" and "angry", when we're just stating how we feel. yes, some people get heated, but that's what happens on the other side too.

i think the fact that these two groups simply don't agree with each other is the main reason for false statements and malicious jabs at the other one's beliefs.

isn't it sad?

It wasn't that long ago -1987 - when the first George Bush said in a nationally televised speech that atheists were not patriotic and shouldn't be considered citizens. I think religious people, especially the ones in power, don't like atheists because they can't be made to jump by saying, "God said so."

• Virtus

I'm not against you, I'm trying to learn what attracts people to Atheism. I don't try to convert people, even though I'm supposed to. It's not hard for me, who would be considered a hardcore believer in my faith to see things your way. Some people are just more receptive to the ways of others and have more of an open mind.

I don't know...they truly believe there's a God and that he watches out for them and is going to put them in Heaven so I guess it's kind of frightening when a bunch of people are like "Sike. No God. No Heaven." A couple of them, the nicer but more naive ones, probably really believe that because we don't believe, we're going to hell. And they honestly don't want that. I don't think that's a large percent of them, but I'm sure a couple of them feel like that.