How do I prepare arrachera (Flank Steak) like they do in Mexico?

I just came back from Mexico, and I had steak a few times. The best I had was the Arrachera cut which the cook told me is what we call "Flank Steak" in the U.S.

I know flank steak to be very tough, but in Mexico it was like butter. The cook told me that the meat is so soft because it is tenderized and marinaded and that's what makes it so soft. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him exactly how it's marinaded and tenderized.

I just came back from Costco with a HUGE Flank steak but I realize that If I don't marinade and tenderize it it will be like eating leather.

Does anyone know how to prepare this flank steaks so I can get the same great results they do in Mexico?

Favorite Answer

Here's the best recipe for arrachera that I found.

Though I'd share this with you.

It comes from the book Baja Magic Dos.

1½ lbs top grade arrachera (flank steak)

1 cup pineapple juice

½ tbsp salt

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp garlic salt

2 tsp onion salt

2 tsp hot paprika

1 tsp celery salt

½ tsp ground nutmeg

¼ tsp herbs de Provence

1 large or 2 small white onions, thinly sliced

1 tsp corn or canola oil

2 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 tbsp honey mustard

1 tbsp water

Salt and pepper to taste

At least two hours before serving, remove fat from meat, cut into ¾ inch strips and place in 9 x 13 pan. Put pineapple juice, salt, pepper, garlic and onion salt, paprika, celery salt, nutmeg and herbs de Provence in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour over meat. Stir every 15 minutes.

Heat coals on barbeque grill to very hot. In skillet, stir fry onions about five minutes in mustard, water and salt and pepper. Then cover and simmer over low heat for ten minutes while cooking arrachera. For medium rare, broil the strips about three minutes on each side. Serve the arrachera on heated plates over a bed of onions. Juerg recommends sweet potatoes to finish off this dish.

• Sharon

INGREDIENTS One 12-ounce jar orange marmalade 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 1 tablespoon chili powder 2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce 1/2 cup ketchup 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 3 pounds flank steak Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste DIRECTIONS 1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix 'em up well. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade (see step #3 & #4) and add the flank steak to the remaining marinade and coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. 2. Preheat your BBQ grill so it's pretty darn hot. Toss the steak on the grill pour some of the marinade on top. After a minute to get a good sear, flip the flank steak over and pour a bit more of the marinade on that side. Discard any leftover marinade (since it had been on raw meat). Turn the BBQ burner down to medium. Flip again after 4 more minutes, and then remove after 4 additional minutes. This will be fairly rare; add a 1-2 minutes per side for more well done. 3. While you let the flank steak sit for 5 minutes, microwave the cup of marinade that you put aside earlier so it is good-n-hot. 4. Spread half of the marinade across the steak and cut again the grain into thin slices. Provide the last of the marinade for those that want a little extra on their pieces, and start chowing down! ;-)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I know flank steak to be very tough, but in Mexico it was like butter. The cook told me that the meat is so soft because it is...

Source(s): prepare arrachera flank steak mexico: https://biturl.im/hb2sa

You must know that in Mexico you will find to different things that are called "Arrachera" first is a meat that it s prepared or marinated and the second one it s the name of a meat cut..

Please don t get confused has I did my self. I m Mexican and I used to go to the butcher and always order arrachera and this meat was so tender and not prep.

now I was in the North part of Mexico in Sonora and Arizona US it s called the same way, But I moved now to London and here I had to re-learn many things and this is one in specific.

This link from wikipidea will explain better of the meat cut ARRACHERA OR SKIRT STEAK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

this link will give you a marinate for prepping the FLANK STEAK TO ARRACHERA.

http://www.mexican-authentic-recipes.com/carne-arr...

Ingredientes

1/2 kg de FLANK STEAK

2 Naranjas (500 gr)

1 Limón (30 gr)

1/2 cucharada de Orégano

4 cucharadas de Salsa Soya

2 cucharadas de Salsa Inglesa

4 cucharadas de Aceite Vegetal

1/2 cucharadita de Pimienta

**NOTE** SOME PEOPLE USES BEER INSTEAD OF ORANGE JUICE IT ALSO WORKS HAS A MEAT TENDERIZER.

(Garlic and olive oil help to tenderize the steak)

MEXICAN FLANK STEAK

1/4 c. olive oil

2 tbsp. vinegar

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. Tabasco

1 tsp. oregano

1 tsp. chili

1 minced garlic

1-2 lbs. flank steak

Mix first 7 ingredients. Marinate steak in this mixture for several hours. Pan grill in hot skillet turning frequently so it won't burn. Remove from heat when well browned on both sides. Using a sharp knife, cut thin slices at an angle.

Hi

To make arrachera steak, you will need:

The meat

Limes (2-3)

Beer (Corona)

Mexican seasoning (Goya Sazon)

You take your meat, place it in a deep pot. You pour about less then half of the beer on it. You then, squeeze the limes on it, since i like a lot of lime I would squeeze about four limes on it, but you can do three its up to you. You then get the Goya Sazon and cover the meat with it. Im not a fan of measuring my ingredients, but i would predict about 6 teaspoons of the Sazon. You can pre taste it by dipping your finger on the juice, if it tastes just as you would like it, then thats it. I would say let it marinate at least an hour before you put it on the grill. There you have it. Enjoy.

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://biturl.im/aU9SR

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

The easiest and best way it to go to a mexican carniceria or market and buy it already marinaded. The usually have a thinner cut of steak as well compared to a non mexican store.

To marinade what you have use crushed fresh garlic, a little hot sauce (tobasco is easy) some beer!!!!!salt and pepper. If you like it more spicy add more sauce and jalipenos to the mix. Fry it on very high heat with veg. oil Medium rare is best to me overcooking makes it tough as well.

• soules

Arrachera Meat

Arrachera In English