Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

What do you think is better for keeping hydrated while cycling, a hydration pack or water bottle?

Hello,

I am deciding whether to take my hydration pack or water bottle on a bike ride coming up soon. I tend to find that when I wear my camel pack I get a big sweat patch behind it, and when i use a water bottle, the water doesn't stay cold for long.

so i am switching back and forth between my camel pack and the old fashioned bottle on the frame.

what do you rather and what are the pros and cons of each?

Do you have a different way of keeping hydrated while riding?

thanks in advance.

Best Answer

I have two water bottle cages on my bike. I use the bottles for shorter rides (20 miles or less) and the Camelbak for longer rides and tours.

I notice the little sweat patch where the pak is too, but it's nice to have the water and not have to stop as much when I want a drink.

Sometimes I'll use both, and have an electrolyte drink in the bottle(s) and water in the pak. Camelbak even makes tablets to drop in the hydration pack that are like "gatorade" type drinks.

I'd say it's whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally don't bother with the pack on shorter rides, however.

"big sweat patch" ?!??!??!!!

"a water bottle"!?!!? as in only one?!!?

You must not ride very hard or very far. When I'm done with a ride, I'm drenched, regardless of whether I use camelback or bottles.

I use both, but make the choice based on terrain and availability of water to reload. Bottles are preferrable, because they're lighter (20oz per bottle, vs. 70oz camelback), but if there are long stretches where refill is inconvenient or uncertain, I'll take the camelback. The camelback is also preferred by mountain bikers, because grabbing a bottle while negotiating singletrack can be difficult.

There are other alternatives. When racing, I have a jetstream (bottle with a straw) stuck between my aerobars so I can drink without coming up in the wind. see below.

• Pamela

You will need about a bottle per hour, maybe a bit more in that heat. Drink little ships as needed. Cycling clothes will stay dry and feel cool. I have a long sleeve shirt that protects from the sun and feels cool even though it is black. However I try to go sleeve-less when I have a chance. Moving keeps the breeze going. Pouring some water through the helmet helps. Instead of a fitness center buy an indoor trainer for your bike. You will use it more without leaving home both in heat and cold weather.

I find Camelback uncomfortable, too - when I'm road riding, but on an off-road ride I like keeping both hands on the handlebars. For road rides, I stick with bottles. It less cumbersome.

Yeah, to keep 'em cold, put 'em in the freezer or add ice. & there's bottles with cores you can freeze, tho' they hold less.

A note: if I'm going on a long ride & dont want to stop much or cant get water, I'll us both.

Why not both?

Get the water bottles that have the cover over them to keep them cool!

The back packs are great, but I know how it is to have it on for a long time.

Get some big water bottles and fill the pack, 2 sources is good!

Eathier one will work, its up to you!

Good luck!

I use water bottles. Put them in the freezer for a while before your ride (but don't let them freeze solid or you won't be able to get them in the cages).

i work at a bike shop. we sell camelbaks and the cages for your frame... we sponsor a professional(national level) cycling team through priority health and those guys use cages also becasue you can hold more water, they are easier to refill, and you can put your supplements in the water bottles....granted you can put supplements in your camelbak also but from personal experience the mouthpeices dont like chunkcs of protein very much and it is difficult and tedious to unclog it. also a cage will cost you 4 or 5 dollars where a camelbak can cost you upwards of twenty

• Gabrio

i believe in the water bottle...

Source(s): my brother is a pro-biker.