Atheists, do you accept only common truth...?

Meaning, truth that is commonly agreed upon by science?

As a Christian, one of the biggest rebuttal I hear from Atheists is that if science cant prove it, its not real

So,what if you experience something that contradicts current science? (which happens all the time)...would you accept that as real, or would you have to submit it to the science community and wait to see if your own experiences are validated?

Ben and Big... sure

Any new discovery is a new truth to science. Im a neuroscience med student and we get new books almost every year that would contradict the previous year in many ways, i could expand but this should make sense

Also BIGg "if it cant be disproven it exists" is most assuredly NOT a science mentality. Its how I stated it, its not true unless its proven, or else they would have to disprove the existence of God, which hasnt happened(unless you know something i dont)

superjoe- thanks, I can respect that

Evil(deborah)- how about emotion and memory...both are really tough to prove anything about, we can study its effects but have no idea its source. Much like faith

Missouri nurse-sorry about all that, but feel free to answer my question too

Herudotu- actually empirical experience is the base of science. Reason is the base of philosophy and math. i agree its good, but i was wondering what you believed

USA- i like that quote! one problem i see with that though, is that science is like a limit in calculus, you get close but you never reach it... faith can get you the absolute even in non religious endeavors. so i ask if atheist recognize this or not?

Michael- what? im a med student, of course i believe in science... so do you not have an answer though? dont be cynical without basis bud

luckynum-sorry if i offended, but im honestly at a loss to see where you could take offense. but yes, this is out of curiosity, so please feel free to re read the question and answer it. i appreciate your feelings, but i know the etymology of Atheist and i dont assert that atheists believe the same thing. I just wonder how you, as an atheist, validate your own experience, with faith or deductive reasoning, etc?

Hmm-plenty of questions Could be asked, why not address the question that i did ask.(or ask your own) it wont hurt, i swear

purple_k: Science isnt seperate from our senses, science in fact just explaining our senses, so im not sure where you got lost there. Science is a perception of the world, and as such is as strong(or frail) as our collective senses and ability to reason. Also, you forgot to answer...

Favorite Answer

I feel like you approached this subject out of genuine curiosity, but somewhat disrespectfully nonetheless.

You are making two major assumptions:

1. Atheists all believe the same things.

2. Faith answers to science or science to faith.

I am an atheist in the literal sense of the word - "a" meaning without and "theist" meaning "belief in god." I don't disbelieve in god, I just don't think it's a necessary presence in my life. I'm a good person. I have a different outlook than many other people who identify as atheist. The reason I choose to live without a god has nothing to do with science or accepting common truths.

Scientists can believe in a god and followers of a god can believe in science. They don't have to be excluded. The only conflict between the two I can even think of is when someone whole-heartedly rejects one and embraces the other - and that's just as ignorant in one direction as it is in the other.

EDIT: I didn't say you offended me. I said I felt you approached the question disrespectfully. I feel that I did address your question, which is CLEARLY listed as: "Atheists, do you accept only common truth...?" When I "validate" an experience I use my brain to decide what it means to me. I'm not guided solely by my faith or by science. You're asking people to choose, thus perpetuating a cycle of ignorance.

You need to expand on what happens all the time that contradicts science.

Humans are easily fooled by our own senses. Just because we "experience" something doesn't actually mean it really happened or happened the way we think it did. As a med student I would have thought you realised that.

No. I was only 11 yrs. old when I realized that religion is a bunch of B.S. I didn't know about the facts of science. I tested religion on my own. I prayed and prayed for different things...nothing happened. Then I heard my parents of grandparents pray...nothing happened. I read the bible (as much of it that I could gag down), and realized how much it contradicted itself, at my young age. As I grew I realized that science proved me right. Do you still believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny? What about Leprechauns?

Reason, my friend, it is the cornerstone of science. It is to accept that two plus two is four, and what follows from that. My views change, when replaced by new ones that are closer to the truth, it is called learning.

Reason does not deny it is an incomplete art, it would be unreasonable to do so. It is, however, a good guard against folly.

Science deals with the testable, observable and repeatable.

What happens every day that doesn't fall in one or more of those categories?

Science changes to reflect facts when new data is discovered. So, it's always going to provide the most current and accurate information.

no then they'd just be more sheeple..

instead of listening to priests they'd hang on the word of every scientist

i think most non-mainstream theists, agnostics, and atheists, listen to what makes sense for them, jsut like the rest of humanity

"As a Christian, one of the biggest rebuttal I hear from Atheists is that if science cant prove it, its not real"

if it can't be dis-proven it exists.. is the scientific mentality, i don't know where you heard that first line from, but they didn't know what they were talking about

"which happens all the time"

please, expand here

misunderstanding is not the same as delieving in something that's wrong

So believing a common myth is so much better. Whats even worse is that you see the science right in front of you all the time but refuse to believe it and call it gods will.

Science deals in evidence and facts, among many other things, but not subjective words like "truth."

A quote I love from an unknown scientist is "Science was wrong yesterday, is wrong today, and will be wrong tomorrow. But each day, science is less wrong." Science can change as new data arrives. It is not inflexible like a bronze age book.

Source(s): Atheist
  • Ben

What experiences happen all the time that contradict current science? I am not aware of any.

• hmmm

a similar question one could ask of christians might be, "christians, do you only believe in what can never actually proven either way?" when evidence accumulates contradicting the Bible, do christians accept it?