I hyperextended my knee... is it possible that i hurt something bad?

I hyperextended my knee playing football. my leg was locked out and someone hit the front of my leg and bent it back. its been hurting, especially if i squat or extend it. is it possible that i tore my acl or meniscus?

Favorite Answer

Of course it's possible.

I used to do that all the time when I was younger.. it went away after a while. But what I used to do to get relief was just to stay off of it for the rest of the day.

Put some ice on the back of your knee, put it on a pillow and consider using a tensor bandage to compress it.

Relax & Take it easy =)

Possible, but a hyperextension is usually the MCL - common in hockey, and less serious than the ACL. Hopefully it's just a sprain, but if it gives you a lot of pain and/or it's weak, it could be a tear and/or cartilage damage. A doc can usually tell if there's ligament damage by motion. You've seen it in the NFL where the trainer holds the thigh and moves the heel to see if there's resistance or not. If the pain's not too bad, you're probably ok to keep on playing, but if it hurts or swells a lot, you need to sit the bench for a while. GOOD LUCK!