Steve
Steve asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

"V" pronunciation in Latin America?

I've read somewhere that although the V and the B are pronounced the same in Spanish, in some Latin American countries, the V is pronounced the same way it is pronounced in English.

What nations do this?

• Tom L
    Favorite Answer

Graham is dead on. I haven't spoken with people from all the Spanish-speaking world, but I've never heard 'v' pronounced as in English.

The identical pronunciation of the two letters in Spanish even shows up in the names of the letters - 'be corte' = 'short b' = v and 'be larga' = 'tall b' = b.

I know of no where in the Spanish speaking world where V and B are pronounced differently. The only exception is one Urugugayan singer who SOMETIMES pronounves the V distinctly in his songs - but he is a multilinguist, and most Spanish speakers I know cannot even pronounce a V sound as we pronounce it in English..