Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What are the facts? Evolution: Science or Faith?

Is the theory of evolution or "Big Bang" theory a proven fact?

If you say yes, please explain.

If it is not, then wouldn't believing this theory be based on faith?

There many great answers, The the first one.

What I do not understand is theory's that have been a society excepted belief, have been disproved many times.

So therefor until some can be demonstrated, and repeted. it is not Fact.

I want to find truth. But I have found to many holes in both Evolution and Creation.

I am asking this to find what I am missing.

Thank you everybody. I appreciate all the educated and logical answers. They have been every insightful.

Favorite Answer

Almost nothing is a proven "fact", including evolution and the Big Bang. Science is like that, everything is a theory but in reality is as close to being proven possible without being absolute. Both of these theories, like all other scientific theories, are based on evidence, observation, predictability, analysis, and refinement. Faith is accepting something with none if these attributes.

Basically yes they are both proven fact in a manner of speaking. There is a difference between the definition of scientific fact, and 'fact' as we use it commonly. Anyway its only the details of the two theorys that are still being worked out and proven. I'm no scientist but here are things as I know it.

The evidence for the big bang is that the universe is slowly expanding, which implies that the further back in time you go the smaller the universe is, which implies that at one point the universe was one big compressed lump of matter. I know there is more evidence for the big bang but as far as I know thats the observation that jumpstarted the theory. No one knows for sure what caused the bang, thats a detail yet to be worked out, but we know it had to have happened.

Evolution has endless evidence. Every living creature has 'relatives' or creatures that have simular genetic structure. Looking at the genes you can see that animals 'branched out' from others. Also you have microscopic things that demonstrates and confirms the theories of evolution such as viruses. There has also been many fossils found that support the theory.

• Eiliat

The theory of evolution is a description of how evolution works. It's a model. The fact of evolution is that it happened. All available evidence supports it and modern biology and medicine would fall apart if evolution did not occur. The Big Bang is slightly less reliably supported (though still close to indisputable). They're still both theories, as in models that have been shown to be insanely accurate.

Evolution = fact and science. All the evidence points towards it, and it is observable on a small scale.

Big Bang = theory.

Neither are based on faith. Faith (depending on which definition you choose) implies that if the evidence started pointing the other way we would keep believing them over the new more likely options. None of our beliefs have to be absolute!

If you think that evolution is not science, try reading some of the anti-evolution propaganda. Any book that's printed and is also free online is a good start.

Well, they are theories, meaning they are scientifically accurate until someone comes along with evidence that it could be false.

The Big Bang makes sense, but I don't think we'd ever really be able to find out for sure where the universe came from. But I could be wrong! Science has come along way.

Evolution has plenty of evidence. Physical evidence you CAN see. I believe it is true.

Very few religious people even understand the notion of 'truth'. They believe on the basis of a thing called 'faith' - which makes truth both unnecessary and undesirable.

If you can convince me that you know what a 'truth' is, then I am willing to explain to you why evolution is not only a truth, but one of the core truths of the universe.

But I shan't hold my breath while I am waiting.

How does evolution prove that there is no God? Or no Adam and Eve? Surely you cannot take every story in the Bible literally, some things should be taken with some figurative value to it.

Those that claim evolution is a proven fact are either fools or have been drinking too much of the kool-aid they were served in "science" class.

Evolution is a theory supported by evidence. It has never been observed (macroevolution). It has never been reproduced in a lab and it has never been proven fact. Therefore, I KNOW evolution is not a proven fact. It is a well established theory.

Notice that people say they "believe" evolution is fact. They need to BELIEVE it is fact, because it has not been established as fact. Their faith is strong.

There is ample "evidence" to support the Theory of Evolution and the "Big Bang Theory". I suggest you research them, if you really want to know what they are.

There is no evidence to support "creationism."

It doesn't require "faith" not to believe in something for which there is no evidence... it just takes logic.

"Yes, it takes a lot of faith to believe in something you have not witnessed."

And I suppose you've "witnessed" god?

Theory is the word in science relative to 'proven times five million'.

That would mean that what you said was redundant, but I'll still tell you: Yes, it's all true.