What was Martin Luther really saying when he mentioned this?

Luther said “We should use toward the Jews not the pope’s but Christ’s law of love.” And regarding the worship of relics, he ridiculed: “One claims to have a feather from the wing of the angel Gabriel, and the Bishop of Mainz has a flame from Moses’ burning bush.

Favorite Answer

I would have to guess that he was speaking of some of the relics valued by the Catholic church. Martin Luther appeared to feel that the Catholic church as a whole put more stock in their relics, their traditions and their pope than then did in the words of God or Jesus. No offense intended.

“We should use toward the Jews not the pope’s but Christ’s law of love.”

Luther was saying here that he believed Catholic doctrine had become an impediment to the Jews acknowledging that Jesus is the Messiah. He believed that the pure Gospel which answered God's Law without establishing new laws of its own would be readily accepted by the Jewish people.

“One claims to have a feather from the wing of the angel Gabriel, and the Bishop of Mainz has a flame from Moses’ burning bush."

This quote isn't really connected to the first. He's simply pointing to the absurdity of some relics. And btw, Catholics do not worship relics.

I'm going to take a shot at one of Marty's quotes too, since it is related to the first quote you gave:

"If I had to baptise a Jew, I would take him to the bridge of the Elbe, hang a stone around his neck and push him over with the words 'I baptise thee in the name of Abraham'."

People are often troubled by this quote, and justifiably so when you take this in the context of some of the terrible things Luther said later in life. However, in this particular case he was making a specific theological point, and not actually suggesting that people do this.

This statement was made after Luther had spent years acting upon the first quote that you gave, teaching the Jews in his community about the Gospel of Jesus. He had seen what seems so clear to many Christians, that our theology of the Gospel as an answer to the Law seems ideally suited to converting the Jewish people, since Judaism is all about the revelation of God's Law and His promise to redeem the Jewish people.

When his hopes of real progress with the Jewish people were dashed, he became first frustrated and later embittered. In this quote he is expressing in appallingly unwise terms the Christian belief that when Judaism fully understands the Christian message and rejects it, they are in effect rejecting the promises of their own religion, and they make it into a system which cannot save but can only condemn. And so he is saying that Judaism apart from Christianity brings death (which as you probably know, is what Christian believe about *all* other religions).

• private6 years agoReport

Perhaps he was insane, for if I published a book called 'The Jews and their Lies', damned and equated them with the devil, called for their houses burned down and for them to be forcibly expelled from Germany, I wouldn't "wonder why I hadn't made real progress"!

He was pointing out that only One has authority,Jesus Christ, and the Pope is diminished to having authority over The visible Church only. But Christs Church is invisible buried in the hearts that only God can see. And our love should be toward the Jews, as He said to love all people. Our enemies as well. He also points out the deceptions of the Bishops. I, for one do not believe that angels have wings of feathers, as they are spiritual beings. A flame from Mose's bush?? If he means in his heart....then OK. We worship God, not relics.

I think what you have written speaks for itself. I don't know what the pope's love for the Jews was all about, but the church of Rome was much into all kinds of worshipful kinds of relics and the like, supposedly from hundreds and thousands of years before. Catholics collected these things and paid big money for them. There were thousands of them! All they were was fabricated things by the church to raise money, but the poor unsuspecting faithful never caught on. Hence, Martin's ridicule.

Some quotes from Marty L

a Jew?

[Martin Luther

God often acts like a madman God paralyses the old and blinds the young and thus remains master. I look upon God no better than a scoundrel God is stupid

just good sound protestant teaching from the protie theologian Marty L

He who hears this name [God]from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at him when he sees him and chase him away."

[Martin Luther,"On the Jews and Their Lies",1543

Source(s): Thats nothing this guy was totaly demented

Martin Luther said some horrible things too. He was a prejudiced man that delighted in the burning of his enemies. I am a Protestant but I don't admire him much.

when was the last time you heard the love of the pope used as an example for anything?

we should always use the Love of Jesus as the example of love.

he was saying we must follow Jesus' teaching and laughing at the catholic church as reticules.