What can I do about my dog who's 4 yrs old and still isn't housebroken?

I have a husky who pees and poops in the house. I work 9 hr days and my husband is in the Coast Guard and works hours similar to a fireman's schedule. He'll either be off for 2-3 days or he works for 2-3 days and on his work days he doesn't come home. So unfortunately our dog doesn't have a set schedule. I've heard... show more I have a husky who pees and poops in the house. I work 9 hr days and my husband is in the Coast Guard and works hours similar to a fireman's schedule. He'll either be off for 2-3 days or he works for 2-3 days and on his work days he doesn't come home. So unfortunately our dog doesn't have a set schedule. I've heard that crate training is effective because the dog won't pee in such a confined space but I wonder if it's too late or if it would be cruel. I can't have him peeing on my carpet. I've tried leaving him outside but he cries and finds a way to escape either by chewing through the wooden fence snapping the cable that we used to attach him with a stake in the ground, digging under the fence etc. I can't risk him escaping again and having to leave work to go get him. Or bailing him out of the pound since the prices just keep going up.
Update: I can't kill him and he's not a puppy anymore. Please only realistic suggestions.
Update 2: Husky's are very stubborn and I have tried to train him but when I go to the store for an hour and come back to find poop or pee it's very frustrating. I'm wondering if it's anxiety/behavioral. How long can most dogs hold their bladder? I don't think I'm irresponsible. I think irresponsible... show more Husky's are very stubborn and I have tried to train him but when I go to the store for an hour and come back to find poop or pee it's very frustrating. I'm wondering if it's anxiety/behavioral. How long can most dogs hold their bladder? I don't think I'm irresponsible. I think irresponsible would be me getting rid of him. Looking for advice nothing else.