shmup asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat diagnosed with lymphoma in the stomach, his tumor is actively bleeding. I need advice.?

This was diagnosed on Wednesday via sono and endoscopy. The mass was actively "weeping" says the vet. Mikey was anemic and they did a transfusion Wed. night. His levels were good Thursday. They also did his L-asparaginase treatment, and started him on sulfacrate and pred. He was discharged and we had him home overnight Thursday to Friday. He was very lethargic and hardly walked anywhere. I

brought his food to him, which he gulped down marvelously. But he

wouldn't move to go anywhere but the litter box, which we moved

upstairs for him. I called the hospital and they said to being him

back in to test the blood again. Well, from 28% Thursday morning,

he's back down to 17-18%. So another transfusion and overnight stay

for him. We're not waiting for them to call with an udpate.

Obviously his bleeding won't stop overnight, but does anyone have any

experience with a bleeding tumor? How long will the chemo medications take to offset the anemia? The vet said the bleeding "should" stop. Of course it "should". But we can't do transfusions every other day either. Or can we... until things progress? Sigh. I'm so not

knowledgable about all of this.

That's the problem we are grappling with. If it's only a couple of days for the medication to start doing its job, which could possibly yield him a year of a great quality of life, it might be worth it. He still purrs when we pet him and seems comfortable.

Favorite Answer

i took my 15 year old cat to the vets on monday she had a runny nose and eyes,when i got their they said she had a tumor and was so ill they wanted to see her back their tuesday morning and the possibility they would put her to sleep so she wouldn't suffer any more,this devastated me.and i really didn't want to go back next day knowing they may put her to sleep.she was bad although i thought it was a simple cold.

they gave her an injection on monday and gave me some dehydration fluid to give her.when we got home that night she died in my arms.i miss her but was grateful that i never had to go back to the vets next day.and make the decision to put her to sleep.

don't make the cat suffer. i know it will be hard but the right thing to as a pet owner is to put the animal to sleep with medical conitions like what your descibing