Bush helped average americans by lowering taxes??? why is this a fallacy??

someone told me recently that Bush helped the ordinary american during his 8 years by a) keeping us safe b) by lowering taxes. I want to tackle the lowering taxes part. If Bush indeed lowered taxes so that an average american made saved $50 a year in taxes, how did the average american spend way more money... show more someone told me recently that Bush helped the ordinary american during his 8 years by a) keeping us safe b) by lowering taxes.

I want to tackle the lowering taxes part. If Bush indeed lowered taxes so that an average american made saved $50 a year in taxes, how did the average american spend way more money than that $50 per year during the Bush presidency, say in higher gas prices, or higher real estate taxes, etc....and how much national debt did the average american get slapped on their back during the Bush presidency?

Can it really be looked at as a positive accomplishment by Bush to say he lowered the average american's taxes..when you take everything into context.??
Update: ravanzin...i think you made an error in your post regarding bush lowering national debt. lol

man , you guys are really wacked out !!!!
Update 2: raven claw, maybe too vague for you.