me asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Bush helped average americans by lowering taxes??? why is this a fallacy??

someone told me recently that Bush helped the ordinary american during his 8 years by a) keeping us safe b) by lowering taxes.

I want to tackle the lowering taxes part. If Bush indeed lowered taxes so that an average american made saved $50 a year in taxes, how did the average american spend way more money than that $50 per year during the Bush presidency, say in higher gas prices, or higher real estate taxes, etc....and how much national debt did the average american get slapped on their back during the Bush presidency?

Can it really be looked at as a positive accomplishment by Bush to say he lowered the average american's taxes..when you take everything into context.??

ravanzin...i think you made an error in your post regarding bush lowering national debt. lol

man , you guys are really wacked out !!!!

raven claw, maybe too vague for you.

Favorite Answer

Yeah he tried to help, and the democrats messed it up.

There is way to much to explain, your question is to vague for a direct answer.

Raven claw is right. There is way to much to explain. You honestly think that you know what you are talking about but you are a victim of bad information. I am truly not being sarcastic, just letting you know that there are many well informed people out there who actually spend quality time learning the truth. It is disheartening that so many people believe what they hear from the masses and fall short of real research. knowledge is key. be strong

It is a fallacy because Bush cut back on the federal assistance to the states to help pay for his tax cuts for the rich, which caused the states to raise their taxes and to cut back on their assistance to the counties and towns, which caused them to raise their taxes, which in the end, ended up costing the taxpayers 10 times more than that small tax cut Bush gave to the middle class.

I'm thinking I just figured out what they meant by 'trickle down economics'. Cut taxes for the rich and trickle down the tax responsibilities to the middle class.

Those things (gas prices, etc.) would have been raised anyway...you want high gas prices with a side of liberal tax increases? Be my guest.

And Bush REDUCED the national debt over that last 8 years.

Yea... the Bush tax break for the middle class allowed me to buy a pack of cigarettes AND a fountain soda !

yipppeeeee ! Thanks Bush !

Since I am not rich, I hardly noticed.