Southwest Gas wants to charge me 'another' deposit!! ??

I have had service with them at the same address for about 16yrs. and have never had my gas shut off. But, because I always pay the bill late they want me to pay another deposit, $170.00. I think that's a rip-off!! It's the smallest bill I have and I really don't worry about it too much, so for the last two years or so I really haven't made much effort to pay it 'on time'. But, I do pay it. They never sent me a notice saying that if I continued to be late, then I would have to pay another deposit, only a notice saying that because I was always late I would be required to pay another deposit. After 16yrs of service I owe a $170.00 deposit!! ?? I don't think this is fair and can they really do that anyway??

Favorite Answer

Yes they can do that and if your payment is always late most utility companies will do the same.~