Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

I weight 255 pounds and i wanted to know the best way to drop atleast 70-80 pounds by spring break?

I would love to be around 180 pounds by spring break going into my prom night and next summer, because i've lost about 30 pounds in the last 4-5 months with minimal exercise from more than half that time accept for my bowling leagues about 3 days a week and if theres a better way to quicken up the weight loss process please let me know.

Best Answer

Well I went from 207 to 173 in about 8 weeks using a ketogenic diet. Many people say these are not safe, but the research shows that, if the directions are followed correctly, they are completely safe. Additionally, bodybuilders have been using ketogenic diets for decades during their cutting phases prior to competition.

The most common ketogenic diet is the Atkins Diet. The Atkins Diet (and any other ketogenic diet) involves eliminating practically ALL carbohydrates from your diet for a period of 2 weeks BUT eating as much (within reason) meat, cheese, eggs, and fat as one wants, then slowly adding back carbohydrates until one reaches a level where he or she is neither gaining or losing weight.

Here's the science behind it:

Normally, the carbohydrates in food are converted into glucose, which is used to fuel one's body and brain. However, eliminating carbohydrates from one's diet causes the liver to convert fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. When the body produces ketone bodies it is referred to as a "state of ketosis" (which is why these diets are called "ketogenic" diets)

The diet has just enough protein for body growth and repair, and sufficient calories to maintain the correct weight for age and height. The "classic" ketogenic diet contains a 4:1 ratio by weight of fat to combined protein and carbohydrate. This is achieved by eliminating foods high in carbohydrates (starchy fruits and vegetables, bread, pasta, grains and sugar) while increasing the consumption of foods high in fat (cream and butter).

The reason a person MUST eat fat on this diet is because if a person eats too few calories, that person's metabolism will slow down. So, a person still wants to eat somewhere between 1,300 to 1,800 calories a day (this is a rough estimate; the real figure depends on a person's height and weight. This was my estimate). Eating meat almost exclusively makes getting this many calories into one's system a bit challenging (think about it: 1 whole can of tuna, for example, only contains 200 calories). Also, eating 6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big ones keeps one's metabolism going, which also aids the process.

While on this diet one should NOT do heavy weight training because carbohydrates are required to rebuild muscle tissue that is damaged during these activities (NOTE: Bodybuilders do use ketogenic diets, but they actually use "cyclic ketogenic diets," which is unnecessary for your purposes). However, riding an exercise bike or vigorous walking for 15 - 30 minutes every morning BEFORE you eat will REALLY make the pounds disappear, and aerobic exercise/light weights are always good for a person.

My Experience:

When I did this diet, I followed it by-the-book. This meant for the first 2 weeks, I could only eat a MAXIMUM of 15 grams of carbohydrates each day. To put this in perspective, 1 slice of bread has between 15 and 20 grams of carbohydrates. I could eat no fruit, no grains (bread, pasta, cereal, rice, etc.), no milk, no nuts, absolutely nothing with sugar in it, and very few vegetables. The diet I did (Atkins) also recommends eliminating all caffeine since it often affects ones insulin levels (NOTE: eating carbohydrates creates insulin spikes that transport nutrients to fat cells to be stored, so insulin spikes are completely counterproductive during ketogenic diets). So I had no coffee, tea, etc. Finally, the diet required me to drink about a gallon of water a day; I was constipated a lot due to a lack of fiber; and I had a killer headache for the first 2 days while my body switched over from using carbohydrates to using ketones. However, I lost almost 20 pounds in that first 2 weeks. AND, I lost almost 20 pounds in 2 weeks by eating cheese, bacon, and spinach omelets, tuna salad with extra mayonnaise between cheese slices instead of bread, and steaks cooked in butter with bacon and cheese on top of them. This was WAY better than those no-food diets I had tried before. Anyway, during the 3rd week, I added nuts to my diet; in the 4th week, I added dairy; and so on...Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

I did this diet because I had a fatty liver, and my doctor told me to try it. After doing this for 2 months my liver function test showed that my liver was very healthy, showing enzyme levels that were near the bottom of the healthy range (whereas they had been 3x higher than the top of the range before). AND, since my body was converting fat for energy, my cholesterol level actually went DOWN during this cheese/bacon/mayonnaise frenzy! I am actually healthier now than I've ever been, and as long as I remember that this is a lifestyle change, and keep doing light aerobic exercise a few times a week, I shouldn't have a problem with putting the weight back (and I haven't yet). I even have a cookie or piece of cake on special occassions...I just have to do it in moderation. So, this diet/exercise plan will work, but it takes commitment. You sound like you have commitment, so maybe give it a try!

The links below should be very helpful in understanding this type of dieting further.

This is the fastest way to lose weight.

1. Cut all sugar from your diet.

2. Cut all carbs from your diet.

3. at each meal eat green and red veggies

4. 1 meal for the day eat 4oz. of protein (steak, fish, chicken, pork)

5. EAT BREAKFAST (eggs and protein shake or V8)

6. Do not eat more that what you can hold in both your hands at any 1 serving...eat more smaller meals with 2 hour intervals.

7. Cut all soda, juice, beer, wine from your diet, instead drink sugar free green tea and lots of water

8. spend 1hr a DAY in the morning on the treadmill walking at a brisk pace

9. spend 30min a DAY in the evening doing weight training for a specific muscle group.

10. Put MOTIVATION NOTES up all over the house especially on the refrigerator and food cabinets...find things to take your mind of food and make sure you have natural healthy snacks available all the time.

You will drop 30lbs in the first month and average about 10 - 15 lbs each month. After the first 4 weeks when you lost 30lbs bring a VERY SMALL amount of carbs back in your diet. Small amount meaning a slice of bread with your breakfast or fruit every other 2 days.

If you do this you will be a lean mean machine by spring break.

• Elaine

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDFWr

You're definately on the right track. I'm no fitness expert and still get confused at times myself, but I have done a lot of research in order to improve my lifestyle and make more healthy choices. I don't think it will take you as long as you think it will to lose the weight if you stick to a plan. Guy's lose weight a whole lot faster than girls and even though they say the safe amount of weight loss each week is around 2lbs... but the fact of the matter is if you're eating healthy and eating what your body requires, and you're working out then your body will do what it wants and lose what its going to lose whether that be more or less than 2lbs a week (but i would imagine more if you're sticking with a plan). The whole point is to be healthy and make this a lifestyle which you have already expressed that you want to do. My guy friends started noticing huge changes when they started to weight train. So I would definately put that into your work out routine. Have you noticed a difference from the changes you've made already? If not then start looking at how many calories you're taking in. Best of luck to you and make sure during this holiday season you stay focused.... overeating and skipping trips to the gym isnt worth it. You're 15 and have so much ahead of you.... make the changes now before you get any older so that you wont look back and regret not sticking with it. :)

Well, it certainly depends on how bad you want it. If you want it bad, and I mean bad enough to sacrifice for it, then you can do it through dedication. Follow the following plan:

Diet:

Your diet should consist of high protein, good fats and healthy carbs. Get your protein preferably from chicken breast or fish, neither of which should be breaded or fried (don't eat breaded or fried anything until you reach your goal). Try for one gram of protein per pound of body weight you want to reach (i.e. at least 180 g.)

Your fats should be unsaturated fats mostly, which come from fish, nuts (incl. nut butters like peanut butter) and some oils such as olive oil (the oil should be raw, like on salads and only a teaspoon or so, not used for frying.

your carbs should be whole grain, such as whole wheat breads and pastas (not just "wheat", there is a difference), beans, brown rice (not white) vegetables and fruit.

every ten (10) calories you consume is equivalent to roughly one body pound of weight, Thus, you want to aim for the 2000-2200 healthy calories a day to make up for the calories you burn.

Don't eat right before bed time, and try and eat your carbs early in the day (no fruit before bed time). Try and avoid sugar altogether, except for fruit (again, fruit should be eaten early).

Exercise: That depends on you. If you can get into a weight room (at school or at a gym), then start lifting weights, and you will begin building muscle. Also do some treadmill work or other cardio option (stairmaster for example). If not, then begin jogging outside for a half hour at least, and do calisthetics (pushups, pullups squats etc.) This will help tone your muscles, and burn more calories.

Also- DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. A lot of people diet by not eating, and this will help you lose weight, but you will lose more muscle than fat, and you will gain the weight back as fat when you do start eating again because fat is stored energy for your body to use during starvation. Starving yourself also slows your metabolism (the rate at which you burn calories).

Eat healthy, and if you can eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big ones, it will help keep your metabolism high, thus burning more calories.

Hope that helps.

And remember- you CAN do this. Any time it ever seems hard to you, just fantasize about what it will be like on Prom Night when you look great. Patience and dedication will bring your your result. I promise.

Source(s): Years of training and nutritional reading.

First, You do seem over weight depending on your age and height (if you only told us T.T). Well either way if you drink soda/ fast food/ chips, cookies, sugared snacks. Then thats a no good. You seem like a big guy from the amount of your weight so play football. You'll seem really good at football. If you've lost 30 pounds in 4-5 months do what you did before to lose that its just that take it to the extreme. Triple the things you did. For example you exercised 2 hours make it 4 etc. In no time you'll look great for your prom and hint * if your taking a girl to the prom that you aren't VERY close with, things will get awkward lols)

well, im sure youve heard that exercising is the best, and it really is. try exercising 5 times a week, and hour each time. It doesnt all have to be walking, you can do swimming, jumping on a trampoline, anything that will get your heart rate up. Also, something i personally found that helps in reducing body fat would be doing muscle work, try doing 100 crunches a day, it will flatten the stomach, do push ups, and if you have a weight machine, i would recomend using it, they are very beneficial. and if you dont like to just walk, you should do jogging for about 2 minutes and thn walk for two minutes.

(this will help your shape)

and now for the eating, make sure your only eating your daily meals, if you have to spwnd a little more time preparing it thats ok, its usually worth it in the end, think all the colors with veggies and fruits. Also make sure your eating a good/lean source of protine, chicken, tofu, turkey, try to eat less red meats. And you really dont need meat everyday, twice a week of a prefect portion (size of the palm of your hand).

drink a lot of water, green teas are good for antioxidents. and your looking at about 100 lbs(or more) weight loss in a year, just by changing your diet and spending one hour a day. (i did 2 hours of exercise a day over last summer and lost 20 lbs in 3 months)

you can also eat your favorite foods, just dont over do it, make sure u know when to stop, "i had 2 cookies, im done with sugary things for the day" (a good desert when your trying to lose weight is frozen yogurt, it has more than 1/2 the fat and calories then regular icecream.

Eat clean. That means don't eat processed, packaged foods that have high fructose corn syrup and a lot of fats. For example a normal day for me would be : Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries and half a grapefruit Lunch: Whole wheat sandwich (beware of some whole wheat breads though because they have corn syrup, I found Ezikiel 4:9, its all natural) a piece of fruit, cheese stick or yogurt Dinner: Brown rice or lentils and mushrooms or something else So I try to eat only fresh foods or all natural foods. That really speeds up weight loss. Also do more cardio. Even just walking is good. I am working up to running 2 miles. I can do 1 and 1/4 so far. So, with all that, you should lose weight more quickly. Good luck!

Congrats on the 30lbs!

i'd suggest bumping up the exercise a little, try to start jogging a few times a week, or even just taking more walks. If you have a dog, walk your dog, thats always fun. Drink water, NOT carbonated drinks, or drinks with caffine. Juice is good too :). Eat a good breakfast everyday, like a bowl of cereal and a peice of fruit. Try lowfat milk instead of whole milk. Wheat bread is healthier than white, ext. Just make sure you stay going things the healthy way, because thats the best way to keep weight off.

Exorcise at least 5 times a week for about 30min or an hour. Cardio is the best way to lose weight fast. This includes jump roping this is the quickest way of exorcise to lose weight. Your calorie intake should be about 2000-2500 calories a day. In order to lose a pound you must lose 3500 calories. The maximum weight you should lose a week is about 2-3 lbs. Eat healthy and always consult a doctor if you have any health problems.

See if you can find a weight loss Doctor or weight loss clinic in your city. He can prescribe you medication to suppress your appetite, fat blocking pills (just in case you get the urge to indulge) and also give you vitamin B12 shots to speed up your metabolism. He will tell you what foods to eat if you want to drop the pounds. I can tell you now to cut down all the juices. If you must drink juice, add 2 parts water. Also eat home made soup, try diet soda instead of regular soda, and watch what kinds of fruit you eat. The softer fruit tends to have more sugars and will not keep you satisfied for long. Try eating apples. They will keep you full for a bit. But..be careful, too much weight loss in too little time could have dangerous effects on your vital organs. I used a weight loss Doctor last year (along with diet and exercise) and it worked for me. Look up "weight loss" in the yellow pages or google "weight loss clinic/doctor and the name of your city and see what comes up. Good luck!

Source(s): I used personal experience that worked for me.

I lost my weight by slowly changing my diet everyday.Like instead of eating on big meal thats gonna pound on calories.i eat like 5 small meals in a day.Also remember when you start doing this your gonna always be hungry because your bodys used to the whole meal intake that you gave it. so keep the small meals up stay away form fast food eat more salads to clean your system of unwanted fat, and before you know it these small changes will have you in the size that you want/ and yes it does work with a lil will power.