what functions does the oil pressure switch do?

what is the functions of a oil pressure switch

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It indicates that the oil pump is producing pressure. In other words, it shows that the pump is picking up oil from the sump and feeding it to the rest of the engine.

It's a normally "closed" switch. Below 20psi or so it's on, above that it's off. That's why it lights up when you first turn on the key, before you start the engine.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Oil Pressure Switch

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

An Oil presure switch is used as a safety device to indicate a loss in oil pressure.

In a car when the ignition is switched on the oil pressure warning light is illuminated because the engine is not running and hence no oil pressure is generated. With the engine running pressure is built up in the engine and the oil pressure warning light goes off. If the engine did not have enough oil when started or it lost oil when running the oil warning light would come on.

Oil pressure switches can be found on many pieces of equipment that are lubricated by oil and where loss of oil pressure can cause damage

The function of an oil pressure switch is to give rapid indication of a loss in oil pressure that could lead to damage of the equipment

• 3 years ago

Oil Switch

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/oJD8D

I own a shop, and think this; The answer is yes & no. On yours it is called "Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Switch". It is a sending unit! It sends the signal to the oil pressure gage/light to alert you of any pressures that fall below accepatble levels, but it is also a safety switch for the fuel pump in case you are in an accident. A typical name for any oil pressure switch is sending unit, but in your particular case this switch actually has two functions, thus has this name. According to Haynes Repair Manual it is given this name, and is listed as so in the injection system wiring diagram in the back of the book. Glad to add my 2 cents worth!!!

• 5 years ago

Hi, i have been driving a VW passat 1.8T having the oil pressure error message for over 6months and the car is still performing. Will my engine be damaged if i continue driving th car with such error message?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.