can stress affect the amount of acid your stomach produces?

I've been really stressed lately and it's gotten to the point where i am always nauseated or vomiting. I went to the doctor and she gave me a strong antacid to reduce the amount of acid my stomach creates. Does having a lot of stress really increase the amount of stomach acid?

Best Answer

Oh Yes it does. I had so much stress from one job it caused an Ulcer and it was very painful to the point I couldn't stand The doctor told me one reason my stomach was in pain was because I had digested my muscle because I was so sick and didn't eat for days. I was also put on a strict diet, no pizza, pasta or fried foods, juices ,pops etc. Try to see a doctor for the stress or find someone you can really talk to because Ulcers can be painful as well as deadly. My sisters ex-boyfriend had a Bleeding Ulcer and almost died and I was told I wasn't that far from that type of Ulcer. If you don't have anyone to talk to or just to scared to talk to someone, get a journal and write down your stressors and see if they can be resolved. Good Luck

Yes it does. When I'm stressed out my stomach produces excess amount of acid and I feel nauseated. I've gone to the doctor and they've prescribed the same thing for me.

• Field

stress affect amount acid stomach produces

Stress can cause an increase of acid production and aggravate GERD ( gastroesophageal reflux disease ). Certainly, stress can cause Gastritis, Ulcers, and Esophagitis. The effects of stress can produce any symptom you can think of. Besides the medicine your doctor has prescribed, stress management includes regular exercise, a good diet, and plenty of rest.

Source(s): Health pro.

yes it happens also stress can cause a stomach ulcer. go get it checked out

• Karen

You should see a gynecologist, just to make sure that your problems with your irregular periods are taken care of. Please make sure to check online for a competent and board certified Gynecologist in your immediate area. Please don,t put this exam off! It,s very important to not sweep any health problem. under the table, and please honey, stop taking all of those medications, they can be upsetting your stomach.

• tina

I think it does