Marriage without ceremony?

My fiance and I have been engaged 4 years. We have canceled many wedding plans over the years always due to finances, and once due to some problems that needed to be sorted out. More recently, we called off our February 2009 wedding and I can't say I have been taking it well. Both of us are set in our ways, and we... show more My fiance and I have been engaged 4 years. We have canceled many wedding plans over the years always due to finances, and once due to some problems that needed to be sorted out. More recently, we called off our February 2009 wedding and I can't say I have been taking it well. Both of us are set in our ways, and we just don't want to do it if it can't be our dream wedding, (which is a fairly expensive elopement at a Cancun resort)

Anyway, we have gotten to the point where we need to be married because we have a child together, and I have one from a previous relationship. She is his in every way but biologically. So, basically we just want to tie up some loose ends for the time being, but without a ceremony. All we want is for our partnership to be recognized in the eyes of the law until we can afford our dream wedding. We live in the state of New York, so common law marriage is not recognized here. So, do we have any options?

Update: as far as I know, NY marriage licenses expire when a ceremony does not take place
Update 2: I am on earth. the cancun resort is a vacation as well as a marriage, and the wedding is free with our stay. Like I said. I DO NOT want a ceremony.