Speaking of Noah's Flood, does a flood necessarily have to cover every hill and mountain?

When I was living near Mt Rainier in WA state, a piece of the glacier broke and went downstream and broke through 2 dams, the last one held. If it had broken all of them we would have had 30 minutes to evacuate every home in that valley because it would have flooded up to 50 feet, including mud. If a Flood is anything starting from 15-20 feet above... why would Noah's Flood need to cover Mt Everest? Why would the earth not have enough water to flood at least 1000 ft up? Remember, this probably happened during one of the warming of the ice-ages. Even Chicago, Illinois and the great lakes areas were 5 feet under water for a couple million years, is that a flood?

WHAT constitutes a FLOOD? WOuld a Flood have to be at least 6 feet deep for a few months to kill humans? I mean, what's the criteria here?

The tallest mountain. Where? Israel? Thats like 1000 ft. And even then when you're in Jerusalem at that height.. Mt Olives looks like a 50 ft hill.

My Submit button is being evil. :-)

okay... 15 cubits... and each cubit is 2/3 of a foot.

9 feet? I'm bad at math so help me here.

Pretty small mountains? Or maybe in the mountains it was flooding up 9 feet and didn't recede for months? Could kill off humans too with no food for months.

I mean, after all, when Noah sent the dove out and it brought back a leaf, who knows, a tree survived... imagine that... so maybe it wasn't completely covered mountain tops?

Favorite Answer

You've got to keep in mind that to them, the world was only what they knew. Which wasn't much. They could say the whole world was under water, but what was their world? A few towns?

I may be wrong, I don't know much about that time. But I don't think so.

I'm willing to bet that any land mass has been under water at some point during Earth's lifetime due to tectonic movement and to some degree, glaciation.

As far as the religious texts go, the story of Noah and anyone like him is based on a collation of legends and tales, some of which may have a little truth to them. It is impossible to cover the Earth entirely with water, given the most generous estimate of what water exists on the planet at this time.

Now many could argue that anything is possible and I'd have to agree, but I would say that it is rather unlikely that Earth could have obtained that much water to support the story and then lose enough that would support current estimates of what we have now.

The criteria can be subjective depending on what you are trying to consider a flood to be. No doubt someone, somewhere has declared what a flood is in official terms, but it can mean different things to different people.

There is a nice theory. Rather than the water being deep enough to cover the mountains, God could have lowered all the mountains and raised the beds of all the seas. That being the case the water may only have been 4 or 5 metres deep. Then reversed the situation after. Silly? think about it. The amount of water needed to cover all the mountains brings about an impossible storage problem before and after the flood.

"The waters prevailed above the mountains, covering them fifteen cubits deep." (Genesis 7:20)

Some believe the mountains were not as high before the flood and God caused the valleys (in the oceans) to sink down (making the oceans deeper) and mountains to rise up. This would explain where the water went after the flood.

This is explained further in the article at the link below.

Figure this out: 1 kilo = 1 liter. On any given day, there could be millions of tons suspended on a region the size of Houston (TX, USA). When this is unleashed, that mass breaks all the strata on the surface of the earth, creating cracks that change the topography of the terrain. And this is only localized 'flood'. In Bolivia - Titicaca lake - at 4000 meters above sea level (roughly 15000ft) I have seen a line of seashell. That means that an enormous mass of water with its weight, pounded and broke the crust, allowing water to enter, touch the magma, vaporise as geyser and shoot its steam ejection high to the stratosphere (17000ft or higher), breaking the crust, sliding continental shelves and forming- when the steam cooled down to ice conditions - both polar caskets, changing the actual earth axis by 18 degrees.

So, to make it simple, "the flood" it's more than a localized rain that could ruin your weekend. It was a catastrophic event that killed millions of people. Sad to the point God said to never again bring judgment by water. This time it will be by fire. Read 2 Peter. It explain "that the elements (H2 and O2) will melt" (this is only by extreme heat; thermonuclear, probably). Thanks for question.

Not only is that unnecessary for the flood to cover every mountain and hill on Earth, it would be impossible. Theres' not enough water for it, and if somehow you could get that much water to cover the earth, anything on the water's surface would instantly burn up because there'd be no atmosphere left. Most likely the flooding was based on a local flooding incident such as the epic of Gilgamesh.

It could have been a local flood. The reason I say this is because Cain was driven out from the face of the earth. Yet he was still on it. Some say Chinas history goes back before the flood and was'nt effected by the flood. Regardless of all this YAHWEH still sent the flood.

yes

Gen 7:19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

Gen 7:20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

Maybe the difficulty lies in the fact that you are trying to marry up a story with reality.

Noah's flood was ripped from the Epic of Gilgamesh and was embellished to be more impressive.

At any rate, a lot of the old testament stories were oral traditions for many years and I'm sure have seen various changes. For example, was it 2 of each animal, or 5 to 7 of each kind?

The entier earth flooded where no man or beast could escape. The only ones to survive were those in the ark. And the ark came to rest on Mount Ararat. That's more than a six foot flood.