Should you put egg shells down the garbage disposal?

Is it OK to put the egg shells down your garbage disposal, and if not, why?

Favorite Answer

Well your other answers have a mix of composting hippies, and semi-correct people. Most garbage disposals will not handle half a citrus fruit. The rind is the problem, however, if you remove the peel, the acidity and fresh scent does help. And the answer is yes, egg shells are good for the disposal. They are thin enough to travel around the blades and big, as well as, thick enough to push out mashed food and smelly bacteria that hide in the crevasses. They also break up easily for the disposer, and go down the drain easily, once they are completely broken up. Don't worry about sewage treatment plants and all that, I'm sure those who mentioned it have never been to one, and I have. Oh, and ice does nothing.

Source(s): Been to two Garbage Disposal Manufactures, and taken their sales/demo course. Installed/and or replaced more than 20 garbage disposalls, as well as worked at The Home Depot for 8 years.

Eggshells In Garbage Disposal

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): put egg shells garbage disposal: https://shortly.im/VHN4K

I had a plumber tell me that grease, egg shells, coffee grinds and pulp from juicers are the worst things to put down the drains especially if you have an older home. I think because they are heavy and/or don't dissolve and tend to catch on any other obstructions in the sewer pipes ie. roots, qtips, baby wipes etc.

All this talk of "sharpening" the disposal blades...Disposal blades are blunt when they are brand new, they aren't meant to be that sharp. I'm guessing they are made to break things more than cut them.

Yes you can it want hurt it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyNR13hyT0c

Youtube thumbnail

it is ok. See this video. Even the bones. :)

Yes, it is OK. But, ice cubes do not sharpen the disposal blades however. They simply strain the disposal.

DO NOT put them in the disposal. They should be composted or just bury them in the garden. This throw away culture must come to an end. Be part of the solution!

It's not OK, because it is a valuable material that should be composted or fed to pets instead of clogging up the wastewater treatment plant. It is hugely high in calcium.

Yes just run plenty of water afterwards.