Should you put egg shells down the garbage disposal?

Is it OK to put the egg shells down your garbage disposal, and if not, why?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well your other answers have a mix of composting hippies, and semi-correct people. Most garbage disposals will not handle half a citrus fruit. The rind is the problem, however, if you remove the peel, the acidity and fresh scent does help. And the answer is yes, egg shells are good for the disposal. They are thin enough to travel around the blades and big, as well as, thick enough to push out mashed food and smelly bacteria that hide in the crevasses. They also break up easily for the disposer, and go down the drain easily, once they are completely broken up. Don't worry about sewage treatment plants and all that, I'm sure those who mentioned it have never been to one, and I have. Oh, and ice does nothing.

Source(s): Been to two Garbage Disposal Manufactures, and taken their sales/demo course. Installed/and or replaced more than 20 garbage disposalls, as well as worked at The Home Depot for 8 years.
  • 4 years ago

Eggshells In Garbage Disposal

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Should you put egg shells down the garbage disposal?

Is it OK to put the egg shells down your garbage disposal, and if not, why?

Source(s): put egg shells garbage disposal: https://shortly.im/VHN4K
  • 6 years ago

I had a plumber tell me that grease, egg shells, coffee grinds and pulp from juicers are the worst things to put down the drains especially if you have an older home. I think because they are heavy and/or don't dissolve and tend to catch on any other obstructions in the sewer pipes ie. roots, qtips, baby wipes etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

All this talk of "sharpening" the disposal blades...Disposal blades are blunt when they are brand new, they aren't meant to be that sharp. I'm guessing they are made to break things more than cut them.

• 5 years ago

Yes you can it want hurt it

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyNR13hyT0c

Youtube thumbnail

it is ok. See this video. Even the bones. :)

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it is OK. But, ice cubes do not sharpen the disposal blades however. They simply strain the disposal.

• 1 decade ago

DO NOT put them in the disposal. They should be composted or just bury them in the garden. This throw away culture must come to an end. Be part of the solution!

• 1 decade ago

It's not OK, because it is a valuable material that should be composted or fed to pets instead of clogging up the wastewater treatment plant. It is hugely high in calcium.

• 1 decade ago

Yes just run plenty of water afterwards.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.