Can't Atheists have faith in science as much as Christians have faith in God? ?

I've been looking through this section for a few weeks now, and notice one extreme trend where Christians (mostly what I'd call fundamentalists) demand evidence of evolution and the Big Bang, which in turn starts an evidence war of 'prove your XXXXX exists', whereby Atheists claim scientific facts and Christians... show more I've been looking through this section for a few weeks now, and notice one extreme trend where Christians (mostly what I'd call fundamentalists) demand evidence of evolution and the Big Bang, which in turn starts an evidence war of 'prove your XXXXX exists', whereby Atheists claim scientific facts and Christians quote the bible.

My question is, why is it religious folk demand proof of the existence of evolution, when their usual response to our own questions is along the lines of the fact that they don't need proof, they have faith?

Sure, many Atheists have a good understanding of science, and we're able to explain many things, but we don't know it all. You could almost say we have faith that some things can be scientifically explained, we just don't know the answers yet.

I'm not knocking faith or religion, in fact there's also many Christians out there who understand our 'faith' in science, I just want to know why it can't be a two way street with the more outspoken members?
Update: You're right, faith can mean 'without imperical proof', however it can also mean simply a conviction or belief. I believe and have conviction that science can answer most of the questions I want to know the answers to. And while I believe there is a lot amount proof of evolution and I consider it... show more You're right, faith can mean 'without imperical proof', however it can also mean simply a conviction or belief.

I believe and have conviction that science can answer most of the questions I want to know the answers to. And while I believe there is a lot amount proof of evolution and I consider it to be a fact, there are some things we do not yet have proof of, but which I believe science will answer one day. Perhaps conviction is a better word than faith?
Update 2: Sorry - didn't mean to imply the worship of science :) As for the meaning of faith - while it's largely used in the religious sence here, that is not it's only meaning. As mentioned above, it also means belief in something in general, whether it be science or the FSM. By this meaning, believing... show more Sorry - didn't mean to imply the worship of science :)

As for the meaning of faith - while it's largely used in the religious sence here, that is not it's only meaning. As mentioned above, it also means belief in something in general, whether it be science or the FSM. By this meaning, believing science means that we have 'faith' in it, or at least that is mostly correct. Sure, science is about testing and proving the hypothesis, but that's part of the process I believe in.

Thanks BTW - there are some really great answers here.