What is the reaction between Iodine and starch?(Urgent!)?

I need the reaction equation(s) between Iodine and starch as one part of my experiment report.I will need source for your answer.Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Iodine solution is used to test for starch. A bluish-black color indicates the presence of iodine in the starch solution. It is thought that the iodine fits inside the coils of amylose. A 0.3% w/w solution is the standard concentration for a dilute starch indicator solution. It is made by adding 4 grams of soluble starch to 1 litre of heated water; the solution is cooled before use (starch-iodine complex becomes unstable at temperatures above 35 °C). This complex is often used in redox titrations: in presence of an oxidizing agent the solution turns blue, in the presence of reducing agent, the blue color disappears because triiodide (I3−) ions break up into three iodide ions, disassembling the complex.

Under the microscope, starch grains illuminated from behind with polarized light show a distinctive Maltese cross effect (also known as extinction cross and birefringence).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Reaction Between Starch And Iodine

• Nora
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Iodide and sulfuric acid react to form iodine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.