What is the reaction between Iodine and starch?(Urgent!)?

I need the reaction equation(s) between Iodine and starch as one part of my experiment report.I will need source for your answer.Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Iodine solution is used to test for starch. A bluish-black color indicates the presence of iodine in the starch solution. It is thought that the iodine fits inside the coils of amylose. A 0.3% w/w solution is the standard concentration for a dilute starch indicator solution. It is made by adding 4 grams of soluble starch to 1 litre of heated water; the solution is cooled before use (starch-iodine complex becomes unstable at temperatures above 35 °C). This complex is often used in redox titrations: in presence of an oxidizing agent the solution turns blue, in the presence of reducing agent, the blue color disappears because triiodide (I3−) ions break up into three iodide ions, disassembling the complex.

Under the microscope, starch grains illuminated from behind with polarized light show a distinctive Maltese cross effect (also known as extinction cross and birefringence).

Reaction Between Starch And Iodine

• Nora

Iodide and sulfuric acid react to form iodine.