Gay marriage. Your opinion?

First of all, I am straight/heterosexual. Second, I support the right for gay marriages. Third, yes, I'm an atheist, however, I respect religion and God, since there are people who believe in Him. I will not push my beliefs onto you, and I wish you to do the same.

This has been on my mind recently, why are people so against gay marriage? I'm guessing that most of it is religion influenced (?). However, I've been reading up on the Yahoo Answer community on the topic of gay marriage, and there are some people who have stated that there was no mention of homosexuality in the Bible. From what I read, there was only the mention of "gay sex" being wrong. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Now, isn't that a completely different topic than gay marriage/same-sex marriage/sexual orientation? From other sources (which I will list below), the whole concept of sexual orientation has only dated back to the 19th century and nothing else in the bible speaks of homosexuality in itself because the authors of the Bible assumed that everyone was heterosexual. <BTW: the word homosexual does not appear in the Bible..lol>. However, in 1 Samuel 1:18 - Jonathan became one in spirit with David and he loved him as himself/the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul, is that not speaking of a homosexual couple? <Also : 1 Samuel 18:3-4 - And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took of the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.>

I'm also curious though, was Paul the only one to reference homosexuality as it was back then? AND, no offense, but is Paul a really good example of good morality and judgment? (IMHO) I mean, he did believe that women: 1) should not preach 2) wear gold or pearls 3) accepted slavery.

Also, was homosexuality only condemned because of reproducing was important at the time? If it was, then wouldn't it be different now since we are worrying about overpopulation in some areas of the world?

Since, "gay sex" is a sin in the Bible, would:

- If a bride is not a virgin, would she have to be executed by stoning immediately?

- If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.

- Divorce be forbidden among Christians as it is a sin and so is a remarriage including divorced people?

- If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir?

- If a man gets into a fight with another man and his wife seeks to rescue her husband by grabbing the enemy's genitals, her hand shall be cut off and no pity shall be shown her?

Of course, the point I was trying to make is that times are changing and that I think that people should adapt to the the changes. How can people use the Bible if a book is easily misinterpreted? The Bible may be perfect in your eyes, but the words that are written in the Bible can mean many different things to different people. Are there any other excuses than religious ones? Or arguments such as it's not natural? I think that people who don't use religion to condemn homosexuality only do so because it's the norm in the society we live in this day. I mean, society dictates how we act and we choose to conform to many of the different things that society wants us to do. Also, monkey see, monkey do, if a heterosexual person says that they are not against homosexuality, he/she will be viewed as "weird".

Please do not be rude or insult me or homosexuals/gays/lesbians. You are free to include your opinions, and I'll try to keep an open mind if you will as well. BTW: I'm very sorry, if the question in whole was confusing or if some of the spelling was wrong. I also may have some wrong information, if I do, please correct me.

Oh yes, almost forgot, why does the law not allow gay marriage, because some politicians view it as wrong? Or is are the laws influenced by religion, if I'm not wrong, statistically most of the people in the U.S. are Christians. If two straight people are allowed to be joined together in the eyes of the law because of their love, then why can't gay people as well? I thought that marriage is the recognition of love. (I'm not saying that you have to be married to love each other though).

- Sorry I typed so much, I just wanted to get out as much information as possible. Also I apologize for being slightly ignorant on the topic of this matter. And, if you're going to insult me calling me a child, I am 15 years old, but remember, that maturity is not a result of age, it is a result of experience, wisdom, and influences.

Sissy Space Sick: I am not bi-polar, this topic just popped up in my head when I was watching Youtube videos..lol.

Favorite Answer

We do not live in a theocracy, so religion should play no part in our politics.

There is difference between a legal marriage and a religious marriage.

A legal marriage is a legal contract between two people. To achieve this, you must go through the court system, which from my knowledge has nothing to do with a church/religion. Legal marriage plays no part in religion.

The issue I guess is people think gay marriage will force churches to allow gay marriage. No it will not! A church can refuse to marry anyone because they can do what they want. But their wishes should not dictate US policy.

Being gay is no more of a choice than having brown eyes. Both are biological. The bible is a collection of fairy-tales written by men who did not know how the world worked. It is used to control people

Gay individuals just want equal rights under the law. They are not trying to change religious dogma.

People who point to the bible for evidence against gay marriage need to read the book a little more closely. They like to pick and choose what to believe. It is quite sad. If something effects their life in someway, they say "We shouldnt take it literally." But once something doesnt effect their lives, but many others, they are all for it.

Source(s): Gay & an Atheist

sorry, i didnt read the whole details but i also strait/heterosexual and from a legal standpoint, because church and state is supposed to be separate, and as far as i know, i dont think that there is anything that gives reason that its not allowed in the constitution. plus, if they just legalize it, then politicians can deal with better issues, like the middle east. basically, they dont have any real excuse to not let gays/lesbians get married i think that they should allow it. i dont necesarily think that homosexuality is right,but the law has no good reason to ban it, but legally, i think that they have no choice but to give them that right. also--they will be together if they love each other regaurdless if they r married, so if there is a ring involved, its not really gona make it any worse. plus, its not our plce to judge people.

I'd have 2 believe in your so-called bible quotes 2 assume 2 answer this Q ! So I guess your asking it of Christians !!! I'm an Atheist like U !! Yea, you're a smart 15 yr. old, but I think U may be bi-polar !

Source(s): MORthan3timesYERage

I personally am completely against gay marriage and gay sex. I don't think that it's right. I am also catholic and we have strong beliefs against gay marriage. I hope this helps and i'm glad that you respect religion, that shows me that you have respect for others beliefs THANKYOU

if people want to be that way let them who are we to say that it is right or wrong. i personally dont care cause that is more women for me and the other straight men. no offense, but ya that's how i feel.

they should be able to do what they lilke...

who are we to judge them??

its not like there not human or anything..

if there happy than thats that..

we shouldnit have the right to destroy somethin

were somone is happy..

its just not right..

I SUPPORT THE GAYS!

thats got to be the longest question ive ever seen i dident even bother reading it but my opinion is that let gays do wot they wont as long as there not rubing it in your face then who cares but on the outher hand it does leave a bit of a sour tast in your mouth as marrige is supposed to be a holy thing and gays are just wrong

Source(s): my super human brain

the pope is against it.... i am against it!!!

i'm for it.