promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does Barack Obama's concept of "civil unions" allow for same sex couples to adopt children?

I know that Barack Obama does not fully support "same sex marriage", but he does support the idea of "civil unions". A "civil union", according to most people, mean that any two people could enter into a "union" or agreement where they have all the financial obligations and benefits of a marriage. They could also make medical decisions for each other and have the right to visit each other in the hospital.

A gay or lesbian couple could have a "civil union". So could two elderly widows who just want to live together and support one and other with nothing sexual or romantic about the relationship. Indeed, any two adults could be in a civil union.

MY QUESTION IS... Does Barack Obama's version of civil unions allow for a same sex couple in such a union to adopt children?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It dosen't matter what he thinks about that. Adoption agencies will adopt children to anyone who is fit to be a parent. single, gay, lesbien, married, military.

So it really doesnt have anything to do with obama.

It just depends on the agency and their screening process.

since in some states gay union is not legal, the agencies in those states my deny the ability to adopt if the couple is technically just dating, or living together without legally binding documents.

but most will allow single persons to adopt, and those who adopt foster children arent even charged huge fees like with the adoption of an infant.

In california, they just care about fit adults that can care for children and can pay their bills. sexuality doesnt matter.

Source(s): Not gay, but going through the process of adopting a foster child
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Same sex couples have already been able to adopt since the 1980's. Whether in a civil union or not.

Source(s): Your question is a non-question.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jessica G. is completely correct. I do not think Obama has taken a stand on this, but the policy support at the federal level is not very persuasive or useful. It is an agency and state issue and if you want to see changes you should be lobbying your governor and your local legislators.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If it doesn't it should. You have people going overseas to adopt white babies instead of taking in homeless children right here in America.

If same sex couples can provide a happy and safe home I say they should have the opportunity too.

We have "normal" families and single parents right here in America like Casey Anthony who are doing a terrible job of raising children.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • crafty
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well, I sincerely hope so, since the cons are against abortion AND birth control, who is going to take in all these unwanted babies you so fiercely defend?

Honestly, why is this even an ISSUE for you?

We are on the verge of war with Russia, do you even care?

Source(s): Jorge P, I have reported you again, new name, same link to Brandarama. Go away, please, you're not fooling anyone with your political link.
  • 1 decade ago

If any couple wants to care and love a child I think that is fine. Gay or straight.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is an issue for the states.There are already states like New Jersey which allow that.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, he does.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he wants alive aborted babies to die.why would he want adoption?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.