What are the top 10 best classical music ever?

I'm getting into classical music and I'm trying to purchase some cds, so I would like to know what are the most commonly known to be the very best ever. Has any legitimate website, magazine or any other mean done a top 10 list or something like that?

It could be your own personal favorite, but would love a list from a professional website or something similar if possible. Thanks

Favorite Answer

This is what you're looking for. There are indeed commonly known classical music pieces, and these are it...

http://www.kickassclassical.com/most-popular-class...

Enjoy!

1. Art Rock. 2. Progressive Rock. 3. Baroque. 4. Classical. 5. Psychedelica. 6. Jazz. 7. Post Punk. 8. Chamber Pop. 9. Dubstep. 10. Baroque Pop.

I'm sure that there's loads of websites that have such lists though obviously no two are going to be identical.

The one I've gave the link to below lists a top 10 of must buy CDS as well other categories.

Such as top 10 by composer,era,genre etc.

Of the CD list they name the CD that I absolutely agree with and that seems to be on every list I've ever seen is Beethoven's Symphony Nos.5 & 7 conducted by Carlos Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic on the deutsche grammophon label..

One of my favorite books on the subject and specifically aimed at people in your situation is "The NPR Guide of Building a Classical CD Collection."

It covers the top 350 'essential' works and divides the classical canon by composer and genre [Orchestral, concertos, solo instrument, sacred, opera, etc.]

It is written by Ted Libbey and is available in paperback for a very modest price. Armed with this you can't go far wrong.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best-clas...

I personally would recommend

Tchaikowsky's 1812 Overture

Beethoven's 5th symphony

Brahms's 4th symphony

Death and the Maiden by Schubert

The Goldberg Variations by Bach as recorded by Glenn Gould

and Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov as a good start.

I have to strongly disagree with the first poster who says a top ten list can't be trusted because it's based on people's opinion... and then he gives his opinion. Oh, and his opinion on people who offer their opinion! Ignorant, lazy? Really?

You have to start somewhere. And someone else's opinion on the top ten pieces is just as valid as say... his opinion on what composers to start with.

He does make a good point that you have to decide for yourself. There are a few great links on this page. Follow them and you'll have a great start!

As one other person said you really can't put classical pieces in a favorite or best known order. But, personally my favorites are

Toccata in D Minor

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Fur Elise

Arabesque

Pachebel's Canon

Scherazade

Beethoven's 5th

Minuet in F by Mozart

Largo

Moonlight Sonata

They were in no paticular order. Here is a sight that I use frequently, it has the top five downloads of classical music.

http://www.musicnotes.com/piano/classical.asp

• In no perticular order these are my alltime favorite classical composers.

Niccolò Paganini.

Tchaikovsky

Ludwig van Beethoven

Antonio Vivaldi

You cannot qualify classical music in this way. There is no 'commonly known' best music. There are literally 100s of great pieces and 1000s of wonderful works generally. All you will receive here are other people's opinions - people whose taste might be very different from yours. It is also unwise to ask for other people's favourites for the same reason.You might not like what other people like and listening to THEIR favourites might put you off.

I know you have to start somewhere, however, and what I would advise is some judicious listenig to decide FOR YOURSELF what you like. Start with composers such as Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Handel and perhaps Mozart. Apart from being great music, their appeal is quite general for those not used to listening to a lot of classical music. Leave Bach for a little while because, although arguably the finest compositional genius of all time, his music often demands the sort of concentration that comes with a little experience.

The best strategy is, however, try it and see what suits YOU - not what complete strangers say they like. Be adventurous at all times and you will discover some wondrous music. You will get people telling you they love Beethoven's 'Für Elise' and 'Moonlight' Sonata (although most of them will only know the first movement!), Pachelbel's Canon, Debussy's 'Clair de lune' and Orff's 'O, Fortuna!'. These people know about 6 pieces of music and think that's it. They are ignorant and lazy and can't be bothered to explore further. Don't fall into their trap. Explore, discover, search and find. Above all - have fun!