How do you introduce a new puppy to an adult akita?

I have an adult female Akita and I am about to bring home a 12wk old miniature schnauzer. The akita, Nila, has shown aggression towards another dog once before because the dog was growling at her. When we went to pull Nila away she snapped at us. She's a good dog usually, but I want to know (in as much detail as... show more I have an adult female Akita and I am about to bring home a 12wk old miniature schnauzer. The akita, Nila, has shown aggression towards another dog once before because the dog was growling at her. When we went to pull Nila away she snapped at us.

She's a good dog usually, but I want to know (in as much detail as you have) what the best way to introduce the new puppy into the home is. I have leashes for both dogs, I have a cage for the puppy because I intend to crate train, and I have a puppy gate to separate them. How should I introduce them to each other in a way that Nila won't feel threatened so as not to get aggressive. And if she does get aggressive to begin with, besides giving the puppy back what can I do?
1 answer 1