Rose
Rose asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

Belting and Les Miserables?

Today I just discovered that I can belt the songs "I Dreamed a Dream" and "On My Own" from Les Miserables. Those two songs always seemed to me the kind to be belted. and when I've sung them mostly just in head voice before, they didn't sound loud enough. Is trying to belt that high (C above middle C) dangerous for my voice? Can those songs be sung without belting? I mostly want to know because Eponine is one of my dream roles and I want to know this information so that when the opportunity arises to audition for her, I will know what I'm doing. Thanks!

I do have a voice teacher, by the way.

And I have an alto and soprano range.

Favorite Answer

Theatregeek is correct, On My Own is not meant to be belted. I played Eponine in the National Tour that concluded the summer of 2006. Our musical director specifically said not to belt it out, but sing it loudly. For him belting = yelling. Our Fantine didn't belt it out either. She has a naturally strong voice.

Belting if done incorrectly can have a long-term effects on your vocal chords.

It's good that you have a voice teacher.

It is also true that you can increase the volume with practice.

You can do this, work it out your voice teacher. I'm sure she can help you out with the best way sing both songs.

As a young girl, Eponine was my dream role too. I was playing Annie and dreaming of the day I can be Eponine. I was so obsessed with Les Miserables that I spent most of what I got for Annie to fly to London with my family to see Les Miz.

-------

THEATREGEEK, Lea Salonga is my favorite Eponine ever, and now she's also my favorite Fantine. Saw her on the Broadway revival. Wow, what a voice! Sutton Foster is my next favorite. But she doesn't have Lea's crystal clear voice. I sent you an email. Hope you got it. I know you work on Broadway.

Usually these songs are belted, because belting makes you seem more powerful, and Eponine and Fantine are very strong roles. I was Cosette in Les Mis though, and I have a powerful soprano voice. If you sing mostly with your head voice, look at some things Cosette sings. They may be more in your range. In my production, Eponine and Fantine did belt. Belting a high C will only hurt your voice if you just jump right in to it. Do plenty of warm ups, and you should be able to tell from that if you can belt it or not. About auditioning: Practice, practice, practice! if you find that you can not belt the song, i would strongly suggest auditioning for cosette. Every single role in this production is fabulous though! Break a leg if you plan on auditioning!

Hope I helped!

Source(s): Been in the show...

Those two songs aren't meant to be belted. My voice teacher said in musical theatre, you shouldn't be belting because it is equivalent to "yelling to the music." She said the best musical theatre singers do not belt, they sing within their vocal range.

She said that if you belt without working with a vocal coach, it can strain and damage your vocal folds. Because in a way you are forcing your chords.

I suggest work on increasing your range by practicing scales. Get a voice teacher.

Lea Salonga who played Eponine and recently played Fantine in the Broadway Revival, was classified as a mezzo-soprano. She never belted.

If you are worried about emotional heights, you can increase the volume of your voice by practicing.

I played Eponine in college. I worked with a vocal coach on the projection/volume of my voice. For me, I rehearse in the swimming pool. I swim because it's good for my lungs, I've had asthma since I was a kid. The doctor said it makes your lungs stronger.

Just practice! Good luck!

• Anna D

There are certain notes in those two songs which are belted - they're not belted all the way through. Have a listen to a cast recording (I prefer the original London cast with Patti LuPone as Fantine) and you'll hear what I mean. Belting properly is not dangerous, but if you don't know what you're doing then you can damage your voice. Talk to your voice teacher about it because they're in the best position to advise you.

It's not dangerous it just depends on your range when you feel like your straining then that can be dangerous for your voice.

Yes both songs from les miserables were actually written to be sung operatically, listen to the original sound track and you'll here vibrato on the higher notes.My suggestion for you is to spend some time developing your head voice and i guarantee you will see a difference in both head and chest voice .trust me the notes in your head voice will get stronger over time!

Source(s): studied musical theatre for 4 years, been in five porductions and one professional production and am only 15 i've also given vocal lessons.