Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Should I call the humane society on my best friend?

My best friend has 2 dogs. They're constantly tied up or in small cages in the basement (for hours on end, sometimes for the whole day), and when theyre upstairs running around, they get hit and kicked, HARD by her boyfriend, and even her if they dont obey (even though they were never taught properly). If you raise your hand to them, they flatten down like theyre gonna get beaten(because usually they do). The thing is, they dont 'look' abused so I dont know if the humane society would do anything, and she is my best friend, so I dont know if this would be betraying her or not. Should I bother calling or will they just look at 2 apparently healthy dogs and think it was a prank call? What would you do?

• Dani
    Favorite Answer

For the sake of your friendship, and the sake of the dogs, call, but do it anonymously. If you try talking to your friend first and that gets you nowhere ---then all of a sudden the animal police are knocking at her door, chances are she'll figure out who called. Give them a call and tell them whats going on. If nothing else, it'll put your friend and her boyfriend on stand by. They'll realize people are watching them and probably wont be so quick to hit their dogs anymore. Since you are best friends, chances are she'll tell you about getting a visit from the humane society, and that'll open up the gates to talk to her about her and her boyfriend's treatment of animals. Since you're aware of the treatment of these poor dogs, you can't go on doing nothing. These animals cant cry out for help themselves, so its up to good people to do it for them

Sasha;

your friend needs a beating of her own. realize that many animal control workers are used to the motif of an abused animal that doesn't look totally shredded. I doubt they would just blow it off after looking at them. I wonder how you would feel if you don't call and then one visit you see the rotting carcass of one of the dogs. You would feel horrible for not having called.

call, you will feel much better when you see those 2 dogs happy and normal. By the way, it isn't betraying a friend to turn them in for horrible behavior

I would try anyway. Know that the dogs are living beings and it's not fair to them to get beaten and be shown no love. They should be in a caring home not with your friend. Sorry but sometimes the truth is sad.

That is animal abuse any way you look at it, and if you allow it to go on, your just as guilty as they are. Friend or no friend, it does not give anyone the right to abuse animal or human.

do it please and do it anonymously but even if you fall out with them those aren't pple worth keeping they are inhuman

Why not.