Cereal in formula for Acid Reflux?

My son is 7 weeks and has severe Acid Reflux (they ruled out GI Reflux). He has almost finally found a formula that works with him, is on Zantac and now the pediatrician said to put rice cereal in his formula. She never specified how much and I wanted to do it for his bedtime bottle (he wakes up once a night, if that- i know, im lucky on that front!). How much is a good amount. The box says 1 tablespoon but that makes me nervous because he is not old enough to be having rice cereal if he did not have reflux. Has anyone's pediatricians told them a certain amount for the problem of reflux??

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My doctor as well diagnosed my son with acid reflux at 1 month old and recommended putting rice cereal in his bottle. What I did was saved an empty formula can and scoop ( I use powder) I poured the cereal in the can (1- 8 oz. box fits perfectly) and used the scoop. For a 6 oz bottle I put half a scoop of cereal. He is now drinking 8 oz bottles and I put 3/4 of a scoop in each bottle. It has worked REALLY well. I could see a change in him almost immediately. He went from projectile puking halfway across the room 3-4 times after every bottle to just spitting up on his shirt once or twice after his bottle. He is now 6 months old and very rarely spits up anymore so I am about to start weaning him off the cereal and putting him back on just formula to see if he can handle it now.

Source(s): Mommy of a 21 month old daughter and a 6 month old son
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Eliminate Heartburn Pain Easily : http://HeartburnNoMore.duebq.com/?gse
  • 1 decade ago

With my first I did this due to GERD I didn't have much luck with it. We change the meds to a strong reflux med prevacid and it worked better then I could of hoped for. My son was not gaining weight due to spitting up all the time. My second son also has this and I didn't try the cereal thing this time at all. But if he has a milder form of reflux I say go for it. I was using 1 tablespoon for a 6-8 oz feed.

• 1 decade ago

Be prepared for VERY strong opinions on this. Even though your doctor told you to do it, some will say your doctor is wrong.

My son is a big spitter, and his doctor also recommended he get some cereal in his formula. For 6 ounces, I put a teaspoon and a half. It slightly thickens the formula and it has been a great help. He still spits occasionally, but it's nothing like before.

Just make sure with his doctor the amount your boy should be having.

Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.