Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

How Do I Fix This Camstudio Problem?

I am running on Windows Vista (Which I believe is the reason for the problem) and whenever I want to 'Record audio from Speakers' I always get a WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed error message.

I've researched and it seems like the solution would be to "Enable Stereo Mix" or "What-U-Hear", but...I don't have that, at all. I have "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" in my Audio panel, but there is absolutely no mention of "Stereo Mix" or "What-U-Hear" Again, I am using Windows Vista.

Favorite Answer

Why not use Total Screen Recorder?

It never lags my computer for me.

Also, it is compatible with Windows XP and Vista.

I got the WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed error too, but I found a semi-good solution, so good that I signed up just to share.

Camstudio doesn’t support the new Vista speaker drivers, BUT, it does support the microphone port. I had a chord that could connect my speaker port to the mic port and decided to give it a try, and it worked! I could hear sound in the recording I made while the mic port was connected to the audio-out port.

Of course, if you want to record your voice AND your compy, I’d suggest getting a sound card with an extra mic port.

Good luck to you all out there, and thank you devs for providing an open-source alternative to the over-priced FRAPS and Camtasia.