?
? asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Will the IOC eventually take the gold?

Does anyone think that in six months or maybe a year (once the games are over, things have died down and the IOC is out of China) that they may end up taking away Chinas gymnastics medals? I don't have a real opinion myself about whether they should or will (although I'm pretty sure those girls aren't 16)...I just know that things like that happen all the time in between Olympics.

Googleyes_ - No, my ego is just fine. I don't have any gold medals riding on this question. Actually, I would only feel sorry for the Chinese gymnasts. It's not those girls fault and it's not like they didn't perform well. It's a matter of rules which are intended to keep them from getting hurt...that's all. But, if you had read my question then you would have already seen that I don't really care one way or the other. Why so spiteful anyway? Ohhhh...I see...you're a high school kid from Canada. That explains it. Ok then, I will just ignore/disregard you as per the unspoken international agreement.

Favorite Answer

No, but they (FIG not IOC) are making amends to limit this in the future. They're going to start forcing junior competitors to get license (prove their age, although still with a passport). So, if a country is going to cheat about an athletes age, they have to start when the athletes enter the junior level. It is still possible, but it makes it a little harder.

IOC doesn't control the gymnastic committee. FIG is. No they won't take away the 3 medals (2 Golds and 1 Bronze) since they already made up their mind.

• Dr D

They have taken away medals in the past in cases involving drug use. Why not do the same for all forms of cheating?

This underage issue is not one involving on the spur of the moment refereeing or umpiring decisions. In that sense it is just like drugs. It is only detectable and correctable after the facts.

They should but I don't think they will. I do see stricter rules about ages in the future.

they probably won't since nobody besides american media think the chinese cheated

Haha, that would sure be satisfying to your ego, would it not?