promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
maggiegirl27 asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

i want to buy an owl?

In harry potter harry has an owl called hedwig

well i really want an owl that looks like hedwig and can send messages just like hedwig one that is trained please help i love animals and want one like hedwig bad

and she will not live in a cage i know all about owls i want one and i am prepared for one

thanks

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The owl in the movie, was not real.

Owls are not safe to be kept as a pet, and are protected wildlife.

The only way you could own one, is if you are licensed, trained, certified, go through about 7 years of college in animal husbandry, and start a wildlife rescue/preserve. Even then, the chances of you getting an owl, are slim.

If you do love them, contribute to an organization that helps keep them protected. You can get pictures and updates on the owl you help support from them.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow... your obviously too young to own and seriously care for an owl, if you think it'll be just like a Harry Potter movie, delivering messages, etc. My advice is to wait till your older.

Owls, in most places, are protected animals, meaning it will be very hard to find one... also it will be rather costly! An own would probably cost you near one thousand dollars or more! And, you said you wanted a train owl, to deliver messages... well good luck with that. Finding an owl trainer would be nearly impossible (and also costly), and training it to deliver messages would take months.

What you want is very unrealistic.

Source(s): Reality.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Not in the United States. It is against Federal law to have a raptor or any part of a raptor in your posession. In the UK it is a different story. There are good reasons for this in the US - people usually do not want to raise mice for an owl so feed it hot dogs, beef, etc and the animal gets metabolic bone disease and dies a horrid death. Also if people could have an owl, they would shoot one in the wing and say LOOK what I found, I think I'll keep it. Or people would steal owlets from nests and sell them to people who would not feed them mice.

• 1 decade ago

Harry Potter is a fantasy movie. Things you see in it may not even be real. They now do alot of things with computers. That owl could even be fake !

BTW, owls don't make good pets. They are active mainly only at night.

They sleep during the day.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Okay, i wish you good luck finding one.

Owls aren't really pets and snowy owls especially aren't pets, much less trained to send messages.

I don' t know how you can be prepared to handle and un-caged owl.

Since i don't think any one can help/show you how to handle it.

Harry Potter is fiction-it is not real, therefore the chances that pet owls are real is fairly slim.

Let the Owls be FREE!

Source(s): ?
  • LOLII.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

the owls in harry potter have been trained for a very long time to deliver messages.

if you let your owl outside with a letter it would probably get hit by a van.

if you want an owl you should go to a zoo or pet shop and ask about bird breeders or people who sell or own owls in your area.

• Jack X
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

While you may want an owl that can deliver messages and is generally a delightful companion, what you'll get is one that vomits mouse parts on the floor, craps where it wants to, and most likely bites at you whenever you're nearby. They're wild animals. Leave them in the wild.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think you are allowed to keep an Owl as a pet unless you get special Licenses from the state, Most States frown upon keeping wild animals as pets because of diseases and possible injuries

• 1 decade ago

lol good luck with that you if you are in the US then you will need a bird permit to get an owl and in order to get that you need to be a licensed bird trainer

• 1 decade ago

Owls are protected wildlife.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.