Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What does a dolly grip and a best boy do in filmmaking?

After spending the whole morning watching movies, I noticed these on the credits. What do they do?

• FUNdie
    Favorite Answer

A "dolly grip" holds the cables for the camera as it's moving back and forth to keep them from getting in the way so the cameraman doesn't trip on them.

"Best boys" are responsible for the daily running of the lighting or grip department. This encompasses many responsibilities including hiring and scheduling of crew, the ordering and returning of lighting or grip equipment, workplace safety, timecards, expendables, loading production trucks, planning and implementing the lighting or rigging of locations and/or sound stages, coordinating rigging crews and additional photography units (if applicable), handling relations with the other production departments, overseeing the application of union rules (if applicable), and serving as the main daily representative of the department with the unit production manager and coordinator of the film.

Source(s): 1) Myself - took TV Production class in High School 2) Wikipedia

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayduK

Unless you were willing to re-locate to New York or Hollywood, I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable about the locations of the smaller markets, as far as filmmaking. But I do know that whenever a person has a dream or goal, he will find a way! Can you submit an online resume? I remember how my Mom & I always sat through the complete credits of every movie, long after everyone else had gone. I thought I must have been the only kid who knew what a key grip, dolly grip, and gaffer were! I wish you the absolute best!

• mish

Dolly Grip

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): dolly grip boy filmmaking: https://biturl.im/XQN3t

"A 'dolly grip' holds the cables for the camera as it's moving back and forth to keep them from getting in the way so the cameraman doesn't trip on them."

Thanks for the laugh FUNdie. You obviously have no idea.

caterer Half of scamming people into working for free is free food. A caterer, excuse me "producer", is more important than three quarters of the people you mentioned.