Where in the bible does it say its wrong to be gay?

I am not arguing with religions or gay vs. straight. I am a Christian who sees nothing wrong with either. I just want to know if anyone could tell me this specific verse that says this, as I have never seen it.

Also, this question has been posted in two seperate fitting categories.

Hmm. I looked up this verse. Apparently some liberals see it as only sexual acts in the temple? I honestly don't know. I just wish people wouldn't accuse all Christians of hating gays. I certainly don't and I know many who don't. =/

I agree that they seem to be more about sexual acts than about true feelings. Please don't think Christians are scum.

Honestly, I think what I truly follow is the 10 commandments above all else. Follow your heart, have a nice day. =)

Favorite Answer

[I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS ANSWER]

Well the MOST used verse is Leviticus 18:22

It says, "You shall not lie with a man as with a woman, it is an abomination."

This one is incorrectly translated.

Here:

ל תשכב ות־זכר משכבי שה הו תועבה

ות־זכר = male

ל = do not

תשכב = lie with

משכבי = as with

שה = a woman

תועבה = abomination/ritual worship

הו = it is/for

Note: In biblical times, some words had different meanings. Whichever meaning the word had that made sense to the context of the text, is what the hebrews use.

Since hebrew is read from right to left, it reads

"Do not lie with a man or woman it is an abomination"

This hardly makes sense, since straight people lie with the opposite sex.

What if [it is] was substituted for [for]? It makes more sense, that is most likely what it means.

"Do not lie with a man or woman for abomination"

That doesn't make sense either, so the only logical translation is when [abomination] is substituted for [ritual worship] so it is:

"Do not lie with a man or with a woman for ritual worship"

In those times, it was not uncommon for people to have sex in front of an idol ritual purposes. Therefore, that is what the bible is condemning here.

Note: I'm NOT "picking" the bible apart here! I am correcting a translation error! The bible has them believe it or not!

There are several other parts of the bible that mention homosexuality, and those are wrongly translated or taken out of context also. I post this one as an example.

The original text NEVER condemns loving commited same sex relationships or sex in loving commited same sex relationships. The verses pertaining to homosexual behavior are incorrectly translated, or they do mention homosexual sex, but are talking about rape, pederasty, or in this case, ritual purposes.

As you can see from this analysis of Leviticus, the bible HAS been taken out of context despite the fact that fundamentalists believe it to be 100% accurate.

***EDIT***

Another one, Romans 1:26-27 condemns homosexuality (or supposedly) but if you read ALL the verses surrounding Romans 1:26-27:

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness

Romans 1:19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse

Romans 1:21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Romans 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools

Romans 1:23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures

Romans 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.

Romans 1:25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen

Romans 1:26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural

Romans 1:27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

Romans 1:28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper

Romans 1:29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; {they are} gossips

Romans 1:30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents

Romans 1:30 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;

Romans 1:31 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

As can be seen, this is clearly and unequivocally talking about homosexuals. However, this passage does not condemn people for being homosexual. Instead, these people have been made homosexual against their normal nature by God (as well as a long litany of other things) as punishment for their false worship (idol worship). As can be seen in verses 18-23, these are people who believe in God but choose to worship god-men and animals instead (idols).

According to Paul in this passage, God has chosen to make a particular group of normally heterosexual people become homosexual as a punishment for their heresy and their insistence on worshipping animals instead of worshipping him.

Obviously, this can not be taken as a blanket judgement on people who are naturally homosexual, and who are not in the particular cult that Paul is railing against.

So this passage, whilst mentioning a specific instance of homosexuality in a poor light, is once again not the strong condemnation of homosexuality in general that it is commonly interpreted as.

I'm gonna be honest the whole chapter talks about stuff that you really just shouldn't do or that sounds gross

Now some people say it says you shouldn't "lie" with a man in the same way it says nothing about "sexual relations" as the other verses do. Personally I think that's just splitting hairs

There's all kinds of things in the bible or in christianity that later the vatican admits to be wrong about.

I'm not an expert but I believe dissecting this whole chapter may help you

Personally, being a christian, I don't believe god created me with the intention of sending me to hell :)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=3&cha...

try that link if you want to look it up

• j

Nowhere. Neither God nor Jesus EVER spoke in the bible ANYWHERE against homosexuality. The passages that people tend to use to condemn it are taken out of context. Remember that the books of the bible are written to specific audiences in specific parts of the world for specific purposes and written according to the beliefs/laws of the community to whom they are addressed.

If you have a question about any verse that someone is trying to use to condemn homosexuality, go to the bible, read the passage, and find out who wrote it and to whom it was written; most NIV or student bibles will tell this information right in the begiinning of the book.

If you need more info, go to www.whosoever.org.

There are a total of 6 bible verses against homosexuality.

However, there's a bunch of other rules no one follows, so what the hell gives them the right to make us follow a rule only mentioned six times in a freaking thousand page book?

• i'm bored so i am going to say things that are wrong in the bible (becuase it is man made) but I am not saying the whole book is wrong just a few things no religion can be perfect

The bible doesn't talk about spirit guides/animal totems/guardiens etc.

doesn't talk about the layers of heaven or hell (so little that I can put it here) No one cares if you are gay (when dead) satan and lucifer are not the same person. Christanity is not the only way to heaven.

Source(s): that's all i can think of for now I know it probably wasted your time but it is important nonetheless

It's something about how a man can't lie with another man or some BS like that.

Screw that, lol. There's also a bunch of other stuff that people don't listen to anymore. :)

also, i just want to thank you for accepting both sides. It makes me happy that not every Christian out there is trying to make life hell for gay or bi friends of mine, and for me sometimes (I'm bi.)

im just saying facts from what i learned at church here:

you r "soposed" to follow everything the bible says, you arent soposed to ignore something on purpose unless u didnt know...

*edit: also, alot of verses are thrown entirely out of proportion, because people dont apply what it says before/after each verse. the one about a man lieing with a man as if his wife is sayin' that he is married so he is committing adaultery. lol i hate when ppl read somethin like its black/white.

Why would you believe anything from a book that advocates murdering your disobedient children, insisting a woman marry the man who raped her, and killing a woman who was raped in the city for not yelling loud enough for people to come rescue her?

people argue their butts off, especially if they are Christian, but its in there, sorry. You either follow the bible or you don't, but its silly to say there is nothing in it against homosexuality..

I Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

The Bible clearly list homosexuality as a sin equal with the likes of adultery, drunkenness, theft,and slanderers. But it also says that a person can be washed from that sin, so they no longer have to continue doing it.

Most people don't even bother backing it up with verses anyway. "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve."

What the heck is that? That makes no sense.